Remote Desktop Connection, outside the remote desktop

hurrystream

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Good day to all. . .

So I have a tricky problem for you lads today, not even sure if it's possible to do what I want to do.
But here goes.

So I just moved in to a house just 10 meters away from work, used to be an office and kitchen etc... Anyways I'm using the companies internet connection which is for a eye glass company. Problem I'm having is that I can't seem to connect to other servers in games and such. But if I remotely connect to our off-site server I can connect to the game server but can't run the game since that isn't possible on a remote desktop...

So what I'm asking is is it possible to fool the "local computer" that it is the remote desktop and therefore solving my connection problem.

If you don't get what I'm asking tell me and I'll try to explain it in a better way... Perhaps live on skype would make things easier...

Anyways thanks on beforehand.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
1) you are located 10m from work
2) you are using the work network connection - how? did you VPN in to work, or run a cable over from work, or wireles... ?
3) you are having problems connecting directly to game servers (such as which game?) Can you connect to regular internet sites OK?
4) if you remote to a server at a completely different location, you can connect to those servers.

Is that a fair summary?

hurrystream

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
1. Yes... Comfortable aint it! =p

2. Cables we're already put in through out the whole house.

3. World of Warcraft, riseandruin.com is two examples.

4. Yes, I use remote connection to connect to the companies server and can run some games from there. I am basically already connected to the server but I am blocked by them somewhere down the line. Can't use any port forwarding I might add as we run hard lines straight to the servers.

So yeah a fair summary indeed.
Cheers

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Are you on the same LAN as the work network, or do you VPN in?

It's possible the router/firewall is not allowing all ports & protocols through, and when you connect to the other server it is outside the firewall, and allowing these connections.

hurrystream

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

I'm on the same lan as them (not in the same workgroup).

That firewall thing seems like a fair assumption, I'll have a dig in it. Perhaps I can change my IP to a static one and allow it on the server somehow. Hmmm, worth a check.