Photoshop Workflow

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 9, 2005 3:42:31 PM

For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here have a
Photoshop workflow they could share?

Jimmy

More about : photoshop workflow

January 9, 2005 3:42:32 PM

Jimmy Smith wrote:
> For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here have a
> Photoshop workflow they could share?

You can look at the separate color channels, sometimes those might have
a better look than the full RGB.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 3:42:33 PM

paul wrote:
> Jimmy Smith wrote:
>
>> For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here
>> have a
>> Photoshop workflow they could share?
>

> You can look at the separate color channels, sometimes those might have
> a better look than the full RGB.

The worst way is via Image-> Mode-> Greyscale. Somewhat better is
desaturate, and better still is duotones.

There's a PS NG where you might get more info.

--
John McWilliams
January 10, 2005 1:08:46 PM

>For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here have a
>Photoshop workflow they could share?

http://www.dynamicartwork.com/articles/digital_bw.php

just about every way you can do it in photoshop

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:08:47 PM

"Savidge4" <savidge4@aol.com> wrote in message
> >For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here have
> >Photoshop workflow they could share?
>
> http://www.dynamicartwork.com/articles/digital_bw.php
>
> just about every way you can do it in photoshop
>
> Hope that helps!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:10:00 AM

Jimmy Smith wrote:
> For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here have a
> Photoshop workflow they could share?
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Russell Brown has a couple of tutorials on his site.

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Under the PS CS section, look for 'Photo Toner Technique', and under the
PS 7 section, look for 'Seeing in Black & White'.

You need the Quicktime plugin for the videos. If you don't have it, of
course the Apple site will give it to you, but that is now bloated with
iTunes. If you want iTunes it's cool, but also there is an alternative
Quicktime player that's much smaller available at

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

Hope this is useful.

Mike
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:32:21 AM

In message <X9ednX2kLtw65nzcRVn-pA@speakeasy.net>,
paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

>Jimmy Smith wrote:
>> For turning color digital photos into stunning B&W, does anyone here have a
>> Photoshop workflow they could share?

>You can look at the separate color channels, sometimes those might have
>a better look than the full RGB.

It would be really nice if in-camera jpegs and RAW converters had
options for conversion that were optimized for B&W. Somehow, I don't
think that demosaicing images to become full-RGB color does a whole lot
of good for their B&W potential.

I think that something like Photoshop's channel mixer, except with gamma
controls for each contributing channel, and seperate high-frequency and
low-frequency channels for each contributing color would work nicely, if
the individual channels were interpolated independently.

You could have an overall contour based on the red channel, for example,
but use the high-frequency components only, of the blue and green
channels, to maximize fine detail.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
January 13, 2005 10:58:07 PM

JPS@no.komm wrote in news:hvn8u09eh14gvv6cevbmflkd8mrofeiig1@4ax.com:

> I think that something like Photoshop's channel mixer, except with gamma
> controls for each contributing channel, and seperate high-frequency and
> low-frequency channels for each contributing color would work nicely, if
> the individual channels were interpolated independently.
>
> You could have an overall contour based on the red channel, for example,
> but use the high-frequency components only, of the blue and green
> channels, to maximize fine detail.

That's kind of interesting --

You could copy the image and
convert the copy to CMYK mode,

then use levels and curves
on each color channel to modify the
gamma/histogram of each,

then use the channel mixer to make B&W images,

then layer the CMYK and RGB reductions,

perhaps with layer masks.

I've never used that before, only the channel mixer in one mode, and I've
never thought to adjust the gamma of each channel first. Doing so would
make the color image look silly, but of course that isn't the point...

Bob
!