Intel 520 SSD (120 GB) cannot install Win 7 / Win XP

arne m

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hi!
I just put together a new desktop PC, but I'm having trouble installing Windows 7 x64 on my SSD.
My Intel 520 SSD seems to be recognized, but I cannot select it as the install drive during Windows installation.

My build:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1866MHz (2x8) Vengeance
SSD: Intel 520 SSD Series - 120GB

BIOS settings:
SATA: AHCI
S.M.A.R.T.: Tried both enabled and disabled.

What i found:
* When i select boot priority in the BIOS, the Intel SSD shows up.
* When i try to install Windows 7, the SSD is not in the list of drives you can install on.
* When i browse for drivers in the install walkthrough I get a list of drives; one of which is the SSD! When I select the partition (here drive C) I get the following message:
"You need to format the disk in drive C: before you can use it.
Do you want to format it?"
When selecting "Format disk", i get this message:
"Windows can't format C
Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make
sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more
information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them."

Troubleshooting:
Tried installing Win7 x64/x86, Win XP x86. Neither could select the Intel 520 SSD for installation.
Tried with only the SSD and DVD-reader connected.
Connected another HDD to the build using the same power and data cables in the same slots, and successfully installed windows 7 on it.

Questions:
Am I supposed to provide a driver for the Intel 520 SSD during Windows installation?
Am I doing something wrong?
Is the drive defective?

[strike]Tags: Intel 520 SSD (120 GB) cannot be formatted/selected for install - Win 7 x64 - Win 7 x86 - Win XP[/strike]

Try connecting your SSD to port SATA3_0. See page 23 of your motherboard manual for the location of the port.

Set IDE Channel 0 Master to Auto (see page 41).

I believe you have done this already but set OnChip SATA Controller to Enabled and set OnChip SATA Type to AHCI (see page 45).

Save your BIOS settings, connect only your DVD drive and see if you can install Windows on the SSD.

arne m

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hi!

I checked, but all the settings/connections were already as you requested. However, I have now managed to fix it.

Using GParted*, I partitioned the Intel 520 SSD.
1. Create partition table (I chose msdos)
2. Add partition (I added only one (1), spanning the whole disk. Filetype NFTS)
3. Click 'Edit' -> 'Apply all operations'

After that, Windows 7 installation found it right away!

Anyway, thank you for the help, I had all but given up yesterday!

*GParted/Tip: I ran Linux Mint off of a DVD. Linux Mint includes GParted. That way, you don't have to plug the HDD/SSD into another PC to format it.