Graphics card for a Dell Inspiron 531

G

Hi,
Is it easy to replace the graphics card in a Dell Inspiron 531? I have just had the RAM replaced by a local repair shop, and now, 5 weeks later, the graphics card has failed. I am wondering if the two are connected, but do not have any knowledge of motherboards and have no idea whether the graphics card on the 531 is part of the motherboard or seperate. Is is possible that replacing the RAM has somehow messed up the graphics card? Help! :wahoo:

It's probably the Dell Inspiron 531 mini-tower with a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU. There was also an optional Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 3D 256MB card if you chose it and it would have been installed in the PCI Express x16 slot.

If you didn't buy it with the optional video card you can purchase a discrete video card and install it in the PCI Express x16 slot. This should automatically disable the onboard integrated graphics GPU. You will then need to download and install the latest graphics card driver for the new discrete graphics card.

If you decide to purchase a discrete graphics card make sure that its power requirements do not exceed what the power supply in the Dell Inspiron 531 is able to provide. If the video card you purchase requires an external power connection you need to make sure that the Dell Inspiron 531's power supply has the appropriate video card power connector.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
You might want to describe what is your system doing and why do you think it is the video card that is bad.

Also what happened to your old RAM?

This sounds like it could be a bad motherboard. Bottom line, I would find out exactly what is wrong with your rig instead of just throwing more parts at it that you don't need.

TRENDING THREADS