Sign in with
Your question

Graphic card suggestion

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2010 2:17:07 PM

Hello there,
I am up to some upgrades in my pc, I just bought my corsair 850TXPSU and now I need some advice about graphic cards.
I am a photographer so I use Photoshop a lot, not only for editing but also for manipulation. I give you this info because I don’t know what chipset shall I choose. Nvidia vs ATI. I have an old EAH2900XT and a cheap brand Palit 9500GT 1 gig ddr2 as an alternative.. I also play video games like dragon age, mass effect, MMO's (wow, conan, any new ones may follow), some fps, strategy..

My current built is.
Motherboard: GA-P45-DS3p, Intel Q9400 2.66, 4gigs of Kingston 1066 ddr2 ram. My mobo is crossfire certified but that’s not an issue for me, as my next upgrade will be in mobo, processor and ddr3 ram. (not yet - next year).

After a small research I found myself considering the middle range graphic cards. GTX460 or HD5850-6850.
The above models have totally the same price.

nVidia GeForce GTX 460 OC 1GB DDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI Mini-HDMI (Gigabyte)

Gainward GeForce® GTX 460 2GB "GS" (golden sample) 190-200 euro

Gigabyte 5850 GV-R585D5-1GD-B SVGA (PCI-Express)

Asus 5850 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 1GB) a bit more expensive

Also there is the new 6xxx series that cost the same price as the other cards.. 6850 (180 euro) and 6870 (240 euro)
Any advice? I like the gainward (I don’t have any experience with this brand) because it gives 2gigs of ddr5 and If I consider in the main feature a second one.. it will be a killing.. with 4 gigs of ddr5
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 11:18:21 AM

^ If gaming along with Photoshop mainly, then the HD 6850 would be a good option...Consumes less power and is as powerful as the GTX 460...And even though the Gainward offers 2GB, I doubt that chip would be able to utilize it fully...
October 22, 2010 11:32:16 AM

Do note that the 6850, is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a successor of the 5850 and the 6870 to the 5870 as well
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 11:34:41 AM

^ Yes, that is the reason why I had compared it to the GTX 460, also the price point reveals that too...
October 22, 2010 12:33:14 PM

Yes the 6 series is very cheap, at least in my country, while the 5850 cost 210-220… the 6 series cost 180..
But they revealed 2 benchmarks that shows the 6 series almost twice good than a gtx460.. and to be honnest GTX460 gives one of the lowest scores while the 6 series is compared with the gtx480.. lol?

maybe its an ATI propaganda.. but to be honest the last few years ATI is superior than nvidia?..

here is another story.. As I said I got a very old (2007) ATI card.. The warranty expires in 9 days!! and when I installed it few days ago, I noticed that the card is false.. it gets overheat and it stops giving any signal to my monitor.

Today I send the card to the distributor for service!! ? lol.. just in time.. This distributor is not very gentle, but fingers crossed, they may send me a new card...

3 years ago I bought this EAH2900XT 350 euro!..

here is a video benchmark from directX11.. stunning!! I cant wait!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbMUIJGa_0&feature=play...
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 12:57:34 PM

^ The 2900XT was you can say the ATI's Fermi :p  hot and high power consuming chip...
But things have changed now, ATI offers very good cards these days, and also the GTX 460 is currently the best from the Nvidia camp IMO, and which scores are you talking about ??
October 22, 2010 1:07:25 PM

these ones.. it was a very lovely card!! even now!! it gave me 21-101 fps in world in conflict! after all this years!.. The funny thing is, the 6870 got the same price as the GTX460 in most of the brands..

a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 3:13:32 PM

Currently @ $180 USD the HD 6850 even is a better buy than GTX 460 nvm the HD 6870!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-685...
Quote:
As for the Radeon HD 6850 however, things are much more lopsided in AMD’s favor. It’s give and take depending on the benchmark, but ultimately it’s just as fast as the GTX 460 1GB on average, even though it’s officially $20 cheaper. And at the same time it draws less power and produces less noise than the GTX 460 1GB. In fact unless the GTX 460 1GB was cheaper than the 6850, we really can’t come up with a reason to buy it.
October 22, 2010 8:22:44 PM

Everybody says that, so I will wait first to check what happens with my service and then (if not), I will buy one 6xxx series. AMD seems to get the upper hand, soon also the new bulldozer is coming out.. omg.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2010 3:14:06 AM

I wouldn't see the need to spend copious amounts of $$ on platforms for the purpose of gaming only as they aren't even quad core optimised as yet ^^

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

October 23, 2010 3:47:12 AM

i am not in a rush to upgrade my pc yet (cpu-mobo-ram).. I believe the cpu's i3-4-7 is a kind of a new age of cpus.. but this 3 are just the beginning, they will be forgotten soon or later.. Not going to invest any money to these models..

A friend who is an extreme pc gamer, told me to wait for the bulldozer by AMD.. i love the name btw!!! I may get one of these.. :) 

till then, I will invest in gpu-gpu's and maybe.. just maybe a new monitor.. In generall I am investing money in peripherals (tools) to built after!!!.. full tower case.. good psu.. very good ups.. gpu and a second after.. etc. I am leaving the core upgrades at the end.
!