Sign in with
Your question

HD 5670 for Vostro 220 Minitower?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2010 9:38:47 PM

Hey, I have a Vostro 220 Minitower and I need to get a new graphics card because currently it can't even play Civ 4 properly (At least according to Can You Run It), much less Fallout 3. My question is, will the card I want to get fit and work in my computer without any additional hassle? I just want to know if it's a pop in and go kind of thing.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 1:15:37 AM

Dell Minitower means mATX case and ~300W PSU, which fits and powers 5670s fine. Be sure to get a PCIe 2.0 version for compatibility though.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 1:31:24 AM

If it is truly a mATX the max power supply you can get is about a 550w for 109.99, That would suck. If it isn't you can pick up some nice power supplys for around $60~75 (500~550w, Modular)

In this case I'd recommend buying a ATX case w/ PSU or buying a ATX case + PSU and then upgrading your card. Ill get some prices soon.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 1:34:06 AM

decode said:
If it is truly a mATX the max power supply you can get is about a 550w for 109.99, That would suck. If it isn't you can pick up some nice power supplys for around $60~75 (500~550w, Modular)

In this case I'd recommend buying a ATX case w/ PSU or buying a ATX case + PSU and then upgrading your card. Ill get some prices soon.

A mATX case fits standard ATX PSUs just fine. But why would he want a new PSU anyways? a HD5670 sips power.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 1:43:48 AM

Here is a good mid-tower atx case for $35

paired with this 430w 80+ certified PSU from Rosewill($44.99) or this 450w from rosewill should be a good upgrade combo.

However, as said you should get away with it with your current PSU/Case..
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 1:48:17 AM

decode said:
Here is a good mid-tower atx case for $35

paired with this 430w 80+ certified PSU from Rosewill($44.99) or this 450w from rosewill should be a good upgrade combo.

However, as said you should get away with it with your current PSU/Case..

Why, he'll be wasting $70.

Besides, the ATNG Rosewill isnt the best PSU, get this rather: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case wise, the PS05 would be a better case also: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 1:59:14 AM

That antec is nice, however it's lesser wattage for the same price and the quality difference is dramatic.

While aesthetically the silverstone is better than the Rosewill and probably even better quality, the rosewill offer's better cooling(2x 120mm fans vs 1)
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 2:11:14 AM

decode said:
That antec is nice, however it's lesser wattage for the same price and the quality difference is dramatic.

While aesthetically the silverstone is better than the Rosewill and probably even better quality, the rosewill offer's better cooling(2x 120mm fans vs 1)

If the quality difference is dramatic, then why not the Antec? And if yore saying the ATNG-made Rosewill is higher quality than the CWT-Antec, then yore very misinformed.

On the Silverstone, It has a bottom mounted PSU which I would prefer for airflow.The fans, especially the ones they include with the Rosewill case are about $5 max.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 2:37:21 AM

I did not, But I said the price/benefit was not sufficient to change. Timop, in future read my full message

Anyways, If you got the silverstone case, added another 1x 120mm fan and maybe a 80mm it would be a great case!

I still don't really change my mind on the PSU's however as the ones I selected are still relatively decent.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 2:42:25 AM

decode said:
I did not, But I said the price/benifit was not sufficent to change Timop. READ!

Quote:

Ahuh? Thats what you said and I read.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 9:53:15 AM

just get the hd5670 and you can play civ 4 on the highest settings with AA enabled.
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 2:58:08 PM

A 5670 should work just fine. It's really the best you can do without getting a new PSU. As long as you play at lower resolutions and/or settings you should be just fine.
!