Problem Installing DVD rom/drive in media bay Dell inspiro..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a problem Installing DVD rom/drive in media bay Dell inspiron
8000 ------ it does not read any disks CD or DVD

it is secondary IDE master

there was a Floppy disk in the media bay previously

Windows XP professional - plug and play auto detected the new hardware
and installed the driver no problem

BUT it does not read any disks or DVDs

I tried uninstalling the driver etc

There is also an external DVD burner on fast USB 2 PCMCIA card and a
built in CD burner as the slave on primary IDE

HELP Please!

Thanks

John Peters

John Peters wrote:
> I have a problem Installing DVD rom/drive in media bay Dell inspiron
> 8000 ------ it does not read any disks CD or DVD
>
> it is secondary IDE master
>
> there was a Floppy disk in the media bay previously
>
> Windows XP professional - plug and play auto detected the new
> hardware and installed the driver no problem
>
> BUT it does not read any disks or DVDs
>
> I tried uninstalling the driver etc
>
> There is also an external DVD burner on fast USB 2 PCMCIA card and a
> built in CD burner as the slave on primary IDE
>
> HELP Please!
>

> Thanks
>
> John Peters

XP often gets confused and needs help with drives. Go to Administrative
Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. If the drive shows up
there, change the drive letter, preferably to a letter greater than the
last you had previously.

Open Device Manager, check the DMA setting in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
Secondary IDE channel. It should DMA if Available, and UDMA Mode 2.

Also, check BIOS setup and see if there is a media bay setting.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

Thanks for that, I've been a way for a few days, just tried your
suggestions.

Changed drive to H and checked DMA settings on secondary IDE

The drive shows in the Bios as DVD ROM but there was no settings to
change related to it or anywhere else in the Bios it is also the latest
update version A17

The drive also shows up on Nero system Info as secondary IDE master.

It shows in My computer/ explorer but when you load a disc and fails to
detect reference to H drive disappears in the My computer folder.

Device 0
the Device Type box was un-selectable but read Auto detection only the
Transfer mode box was active and was set to "DMA if available"
the current transfer mode box was also un-selectable but
read "UDMA mode 2"

Device 1
the Device Type box was selectable and was set to Auto detection.
Transfer mode box was active and was set to "DMA if available"
the current transfer mode box was also unselectable but
read "Not Applicable"

One question Could the fact that I have a DVD burner (F drive) on Fast
USB2 PCMCIA card be a problem here?

Thank for your help

John Peters

Quaoar wrote:
> John Peters wrote:
>
>>I have a problem Installing DVD rom/drive in media bay Dell inspiron
>>8000 ------ it does not read any disks CD or DVD
>>
>>it is secondary IDE master
>>
>>there was a Floppy disk in the media bay previously
>>
>>Windows XP professional - plug and play auto detected the new
>>hardware and installed the driver no problem
>>
>>BUT it does not read any disks or DVDs
>>
>>I tried uninstalling the driver etc
>>
>>There is also an external DVD burner on fast USB 2 PCMCIA card and a
>>built in CD burner as the slave on primary IDE
>>
>>HELP Please!
>>

>>Thanks
>>
>>John Peters
>

> XP often gets confused and needs help with drives. Go to Administrative
> Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. If the drive shows up
> there, change the drive letter, preferably to a letter greater than the
> last you had previously.
>
> Open Device Manager, check the DMA setting in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
> Secondary IDE channel. It should DMA if Available, and UDMA Mode 2.
>
> Also, check BIOS setup and see if there is a media bay setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS