Should I completely Wipe my HDD?

aarontaichew

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I just got my order of new 120gb SSD and some other new parts to upgrade my computer system. right now i am running on an 500gb HDD. I was told for me to get my OS on my SSD i would have to start fresh and download a fresh version of Windows to it. meaning basically starting from scratch. Now i was wondering do i need to completely wipe my old HDD or do i not need to? I was wondering if i don't wipe it, it might cause conflicts between the two harddrives. Also note that i plan on using both harddrives. i mainly want the SSD for the OS/ 1-2 games or so on it. leave the drives/main bulk of stuff on my HDD.

Can anyone offer their opinion?

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
If it’s the same motherboard you can install it on the SSD without changing the license. Your old drive can be added after the SSD is up and running on a separate SATA connector for file transfer. I would back up all your documents and music to a DVD or external drive. You should reinstall your games and applications.

Yes, I would then whip the 500GB drive and then use it as a data/programs drive and to backup your system image on. The only thing I would put on the SSD would be your fresh OS and Office, if used.

aarontaichew

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I am very new to computer building and this will be my first time wiping a Harddrive. do i just go through each file and delete? or is there a free program that you can recommend?

aarontaichew

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Can you explain how to format the harddrive? and i'm basically deleting everything. its mostly fluff/ things i can re-download.