Compaq Armada M700 battery problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 14, 2005 5:57:25 AM

Bought a new (but not genuine Compaq) battery for my M700 on eBay.

First thing I noticed when I opened the parcel was a strange odor. I
put this down to the usual "new electronic component odor" if you see
what I mean. I tried to charge it and the charge light came on. About
an hour later the charge light turned off.

However, it doesn't boot from the battery, and the charge light no
longer comes on.

There's also a buzzing noise when this battery is installed. Windows
shows "no battery present"

Is it more likely the battery is duff or did the "charging unit" of
the laptop kill the battery? Sounds unlikely to be the latter, but is
it possible? It's had a non-working battery in for a while and I used
it plugged into the mains.

I've e-mailed the seller, but had no reply as yet. The seller has good
feedback.
January 18, 2005 5:21:42 AM

On 14 Jan 2005 02:57:25 -0800, mrjjohnson@hotmail.com (JJ) wrote:

>Bought a new (but not genuine Compaq) battery for my M700 on eBay.
>
>First thing I noticed when I opened the parcel was a strange odor. I
>put this down to the usual "new electronic component odor" if you see
>what I mean. I tried to charge it and the charge light came on. About
>an hour later the charge light turned off.
>
>However, it doesn't boot from the battery, and the charge light no
>longer comes on.
>
>There's also a buzzing noise when this battery is installed. Windows
>shows "no battery present"
>
>Is it more likely the battery is duff or did the "charging unit" of
>the laptop kill the battery? Sounds unlikely to be the latter, but is
>it possible? It's had a non-working battery in for a while and I used
>it plugged into the mains.

Had exactly the same symptoms on my m700 recently including the
buzzing noise and charging but no boot.

I also suspected a charging unit failure, but its now working again
with a replacement battery, so it sounds to me like ur battery is
faulty.
!