Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weird issue with USB ports - ASRock Extreme 7

Last response: in Motherboards
September 15, 2011 12:15:24 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm having a strange issue with my USB ports that are mounted on the motherboard (I/O panel, not the front case USB ports). My board is the ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3.

Last night was the first time I really ran the new PC for several hours and over the coarse of those hours I would hear the Ding/ding sound Windows makes when plugging a device into the USB port or unplugging it. It happened a couple of times. Then before I went to bed, it started doing it a lot ... so I started wiggling the USB cables inside the connector and it was dinging/dinging like crazy... It did this for about a minute (for all USB ports, not just one), and then just stopped.

After it stopped it didn't ding anymore when I wiggled the cables but I didn't try for long until I had to head off to bed.

Is this something anyone has ever experienced? ... Could the motherboard be bad or have bad USB ports? ...

I realize this is a crazy issue that is probably unique, just want everyone's opinions on what it could be :) 

Thanks!

Edit: As a side note, the I/O blocks seem to be a little inset from the I/O plate on the case (although perfectly aligned on the edge of the MOBO) ... Do you think it's purely a motherboard issue and I should just RMA? ... Thanks again!
a c 217 V Motherboard
September 15, 2011 12:53:06 PM

Sounds like a loose connector. Check your USB headers (at the motherboard end and in your front panel). Good luck!
m
l
September 15, 2011 12:55:38 PM

Sorry I should have elaborated ... it's actually the USB blocks that are directly attached to the motherboard (In the I/O section) ... each block seems to do it.

Edit: Come to think of it though it could have been coincidence that it did it more when I was wiggling the USB cables in the back of the machine ... perhaps it was moving the front panel USB connectors just enough to make it ding? ... Dunno, very strange issue lol
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 217 V Motherboard
September 15, 2011 1:04:03 PM

Could be the wires/pins inside your USB connectors aren't making good, consistent contact. Wiggling them demonstrated that.

I have also seen electrical shorts with poorly made USB ports/wiring do similar things in generic cases. Often to the point of when the user installed a USB device with the system powered on, it would short the system.

Make sure nothing is shorting your USB ports around your ATX (aka I/O) plate (little aluminum plate on back of case). Look closely at the little grounding tabs to make sure one isn't bent "in to" a port by mistake.

Good luck!
September 15, 2011 1:29:31 PM

Gotcha,

Should the grounding tabs (Are those the little metal pieces that stick up from the back of the I/O plate?) be touching the metal housing for the USB ports? ... I'm wondering if they aren't touching it when they should be ... I noticed that the USB block is about 1/8" back from the I/O plate itself.
m
l
a c 217 V Motherboard
September 15, 2011 1:40:46 PM

Yep. They should touch. Sometimes, cases, mobos, and standoffs are just "off" enough to create gaps. Still a little local modification (bending into place) should do the trick.
m
l
September 15, 2011 2:04:20 PM

Excellent ... I will remove the mobo and try to bend them up a little to make better contact while ensuring they do not enter the port itself.

Thanks for your help COL ... I'll let you know what happens :) 
m
l
September 15, 2011 2:04:42 PM

Best answer selected by draynoe.
m
l
a c 217 V Motherboard
September 15, 2011 2:12:58 PM

draynoe said:
Excellent ... I will remove the mobo and try to bend them up a little to make better contact while ensuring they do not enter the port itself.

Thanks for your help COL ... I'll let you know what happens :) 

Check all of your header connectors while you are it. Good luck!

WOO HOO!!!
m
l
September 15, 2011 2:19:25 PM

Will do - thanks again!
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:45:52 AM

So ... I figured out the problem.

After disassembling the entire computer, bending the grounding wires out a little, checking every header and plugging everything back up again I booted up. The issue was still persisting which just about drove me nuts.

As I'm wiggling the USB wires I realize it doesn't happen every time I wiggle them, only sometimes. Well ... I have all of my wires from my speakers and monitor zip tied behind the desk and ran to the computer. Thinking about it, I decided to wiggle the USB wire that is connected to the monitor (for two extension USB ports on the monitor itself), and what do you know? THE WIRE FROM THE MONITOR WAS NOT MAKING GOOD CONTACT!!!!!

4 hours and all I had to do was replace a USB extension wire.

:fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
m
l
a c 217 V Motherboard
September 16, 2011 2:25:55 AM

Glad you figured it out. Good job!
m
l
September 16, 2011 3:24:43 AM

Thanks for the help - if anything it helped me learn more about building computers ... over and over again! lol
m
l
a c 217 V Motherboard
September 16, 2011 11:09:14 AM

The "learning" never stops, my friend!
m
l
!