$800 Gaming build - Opinions?

z33tec

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Next month (November 2010), I can wait if there is a known price drop coming, no rush for this build.

Budget Range: ~$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet Surfing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I am not brand loyal. I go with the best bang for the buck. My preference for cases would be Antec because I like the quietness and ease of use they provide. I would definitely consider any comparable cases though.

Overclocking: Not at this time.

SLI or Crossfire: No, I'd prefer the simplicity of one card.

Monitor Resolution: Have to check on this when I am home. It is a 22" widescreen though.

Additional Comments: I prefer a quiet, mid size case over a flashy case with fans roaring.

I grabbed this build from the Best configs - Intel Budget Gaming thread. It had the highest votes and looks like what I am shooting for. The i7's look awesome, but seem a bit pricey for any benefits I might see during gaming. I don't know too much about the current AMD CPU's. I used to like AMD for their bang for the buck CPU's, but it seems like they don't really hold that title right now.

Processor - Intel i5 760 - *** Seems like a great bang for the buck gaming CPU. I'd like an i7, but they seem like they would bump my build up by at least a couple hundred. Don't know if I'd see any improvement in my gaming either.

Motherboard - BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI - *** Don't know anything about BIOSTAR or this mobo.

Memory - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP-Ready Rev.2 - *** I'd like 6GB of ram if it's doable by cutting back in other areas.

Graphics - 2 X Galaxy 60XMH6HS3HMW GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) GC 768MB - *** I'd prefer a single graphics card.

HDD + Power Supply : Samsung Spinpoint F3 + OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W - ***No preference on these. I was looking at SSD's but they seem out of my price range at this time.

Case - Antec 300 - ***I like Antec, and wouldn't mind using this case at all.

CPU Cooler - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - *** I'd prefer stock OEM heat sink/fan since I don't plan on doing any overclocking any time soon.

Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc CD/ DVD Burner - *** Don't really care about optical drive. I'll grab whatever is on sale at newegg for about $20.

Looking mainly for CPU, Mobo, and Video card opinions. CPU might be fine, but I don't want 2x video cards and I'm unsure if I would want that mobo if I'm not using SLI. Thanks for the feedback!

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Welcome to the forum. I think the i5 will be good for you, here's a few suggestions though.
You can get SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 for less if you drop the SLI support provided you don't want that option of course (you said you didn't want dual cards and you shouldn't need them with that monitor).
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E LX -$125-
I'm not sure exactly what RAM set that is, but make sure it has lower latencies - CL7. You don't want 6GB, those are for triple channel 1366 sockets, and you should be fine with 4Gb anyways.
Maybe a single GTX 470 instead?
Get the 300 Illusion with the extra fans.
Then add the Hyper 212+ instead of that Arctic one.
See what you think.