CPU crashing suddenly. Possibly losing power?

cfsurf

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello,

I have an HP Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ CPU, 3 GB RAM, 64-bit OS. It's about 3-4 years old.

Just last night, my computer began to crash while I was playing a game. All of a sudden, my CPU functions would stop, my monitor would lose it's signal (power) to my CPU and turn off, but the PC itself had power and stayed on, but I wasn't able to do any functions. I have to manually turn of my computer at this point to restart.

After the first crash, I rebooted my computer and the monitor didn't have power from the CPU. After unplugging it and putting it back in, it worked on the next boot up, but it doesn't appear to be th problem.

Sometimes if I use my computer for 7-8 hours at a time, it tends to over heat a bit and will get sluggish and eventually crash. This crash happened within 1-2 hours of turning it on and is happening at random times.

It's only happened 3-4 times while playing a game called League of Legends and one other while I was attempting a start up repair.

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Definitely sounds like heat problems so as previously mentioned a bit of housekeeping is in order. Maybe check and reinstall the cpu cooler what cooler do you have ?

Might be helpful to mention what PSU you have and any vid cards mobo info ? are you Overclocking ?

If possible note the temps in BIOS of system and CPU..and monitoring your temps in Windows and post them
also note as to why you attempted to perform a start up repair ? malware issues system & driver corruption ?

answering these will help us determine some issues you may have and the solutions.

cfsurf

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Thank you for the advice. I thought of the same yesturday, wondering if the my comp is simply due for a good cleaning. I will take time to do that today.

As for the start up repair, I started this as a precautionary to the comp failing to boot up. I've had an active Norton subscription for nearly 3 years. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with malicious software.

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
In previous post
Might be helpful to mention what PSU you have and any vid cards mobo info ? are you Overclocking ?

and what are your temps in Bios ? and when system is running? see previous post

when you say you did a start up repair did you complete it successfully ?
you mention that you attempted a start up repair to correct a boot & temp problem ?

Just because you have a subscription to Norton does not mean your Windows install is still clean .
happy cleaning