CPU bottleneck question

G

foxconn intel pentium d cpu 3 00GHz will a radeon hd 5770 1G be fine to use or will the cpu cause a massive bottle neck?

G

I do have the PCI-E 16x slot, but being a pentium D its giving me a headache, i bought the pc a couple years back for the mrs, now she's got a laptop i've claimed this back, and decided a wanted to build it up abit see what i could get out of it, however i've hardly touched a pc for 5 years and things have moved on alot since then, advice and help would be great.

94_xj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Do you know what motherboard it is? It would be worth ditching that power sucking space heater of a dual core for a C2D and going for more and faster memory for sure. The Pentium Ds are just terribly inefficient processors both with power and clock per clock performance.

G

ok my motherboard specs
Property Value
Manufacturer Foxconn
Model 45GM/45CM
Version
Serial Number UYPV72204847

North Bridge Intel i945G Revision A2
South Bridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) Revision A2

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2

Could you please recommend a decent Motherboard for me to start my build with?

G

It has been a long time since i've messed around with a pc, Im really looking forward to getting back into it, but it's rather daunting to be honest with so much changing.

G

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L - Motherboard - ATX - iP35 - LGA775 Socket - UDMA133, SATA-300 - Gigabit Ethernet - High Definition Audio (8-channel)

Is this a good starting point?

G

Great links! Thanks pal, im going to continue reading and i will pop back tomorrow with a few more questions. Soooo im going to sell this pc and build myself a decent gaming pc, but where the hell am i going to start AMD or Intel? DDR2 or DDR3 DX10 or 11 or both? crossfire? i think my brains going to melt lol, Again thanks for your help, im off for now got some thinking to do.

Timop

Distinguished
Dont expect C2D from a Foxconn..
The P35 is a decent board, but unless you're getting one used for a nice deal, any AMD 870/770 board+AM3 will beat it for the same or less money.

What is your budget and where you live?