Should I switch cases for new SB build?

capitalistpigskin

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hi,

I’m finalizing the first stage of my i5-2500k Sandy Bridge build, and was curious about my case. I initially planned to use my current case to house the i5-2500 setup I'm ordering (details below).

I’m currently using an Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports. It’s compatible with “AT, baby AT, ATX, and mATX”, but feels a little smallish, even for a mid-tower. I'm using a front and rear 120mm push-pull, plus the built-in CPU airduct that gives the system decent airflow/temps. I’m upgrading the PSU from a hec Raptor 500W to a 700W Xigmatek 80+Bronze SLi (non-modular) replacement. I just ordered the PSU this morning… waiting to install it early next week.

My new build will be i5-2500k, 8G (4Gx2) G.Skill 1600, 1x GTX 460 (will expand to SLi’ed 460s soon) and I'm debating between these boards: Asus P8P67 Pro or an ASRock. I'm almost certain to go with the P67Pro. No matter what, I will avoid mATX boards for this build.

My question is:
Would there be any advantage to buying a different/newer tower (hopefully in the sub-$100ish range) that would give me more bang for my buck (whether it's front-panel USB3.0/SATA6 support, easier access to the backside of the mobo for an aftermarket cooler backplate/cable management, general roominess, etc.), or do you think my current case is sufficient?

I don’t care all that much about aesthetics; my focus is on a balance of maximum functionality and wallet-friendliness. If an upgrade will only offer a marginal improvement, I'm fine with keeping my current case. I skimmed over a few cases that have been suggested in these forums while researching, and I've attached their pricing and relevant info below. If you have any experience/ideas/suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. Thank you in advance for your time.

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black: 60AR w/ FS
(I like this one the best, I think. Would this be a justifiable improvement and still be compatible with an P8P67Pro and 2 GTX 460s SLi'd?)

My Current Case: Free

COOLER MASTER HAF 922: $90 w/ FS

Xigmatek ASGARD II CPC-T45UE-U01 Black/Orange Mid Tower: $23.99 + $10 Shipping

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX: $55 + FS

Lian Li PC-K58W Midtower: $66 + 10 Shipping

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case: $80 + $6 Shipping

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout: $90 + $3 Shipping

Thermaltake Armor A90 Gaming Mid-Tower: $70(AR) + FS

Rosewill Blackbone: $35 + FS

Thank you again,
Justin S.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Stick with your current case unless you want a better looking case with new features as you indicated badly... The case is 190mm wide and without the cpu fan duct it can hold a decent tower cooler if needed... the case has one 120mm intake and one 120mm exhaust coupled with the top mount psu acting as an additional exhaust... and the sandy bridge cpu's produce far less heat than the previous generation cpu's so CPU thermal management is ok...

the only thing you have to measure out is the space needed for the 460's... they are 8.25 inches (210 mm) in length and the total depth of the case is 19.5"(495.3 mm)... you will have to measure from the expansion bay to the HDD cage to see if it'll fit...

Than again i dont know if the case's circulation can handle the heat from the two 460's... Try it out... if the temps are fine stick with the case, if not then the HAF 922 will be an excellent replacement...

capitalistpigskin

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the input! The HAF 922 seems pretty roomy, and has great reviews. I'll keep an eye on the normal/load temps with the new hardware installed, keeping that case in mind if I need to upgrade.

Btw, what did I "indicate badly"? It was 5 in the morning when I started writing the post, so I'll gladly admit to a total lack of surprise if my post was borderline incoherent, but I don't see any glaring mistakes. Was it the Faulkner stream-of-consciousness style?

Thanks again for the advice,
Justin S.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
its a good idea not to mention cases you are considering... people may not reply if they feel their answers are already suggested by the poster... the shorter the post the faster for people to read and reply... it could just be me but i feel thats the general consensus...

Or if your lazy its easier because you can just pick one of the choices. :D

Anyways like Abully says best thing to do is have a running test and monitor temps. It always amazes me that people are willing to spend huge amounts of money on components but seem to scrimp on houses for them. I'm not having a pop at you but with exception of the psu the case is always high on my list of priorities. Room to work, looks(for me [:beanoslim:2] ) and the ability to cool the components that you have shelled out for.

Look at it as an investment, your pc might be out of date in less than a year but your case could last you 5yrs+.

I've been looking for ages HAF932/X Antec 902/1200 Silverstone RV02,FT02 and Corsair 600T,700D and 800D.
Now I'm gonna wait for this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-obsidian-series-650d-black-mid-tower-enthusiast-case-w-o-psu

capitalistpigskin

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Ah, sorry, I just didn't want you to think that I was too lazy to do the research. I see a lot of posts here that ask ill-defined questions that Google, common sense, or simple 4th grade reading comprehension might solve, and I would imagine that those posts are irritating to those who spend time trying to genuinely help others. I also listed these specific models because I thought someone might have some personal experience with one or more of them, (e.g., "Don't buy 'x' because the HDD enclosure has a tendency to block one of the SATA ports on 'x' boards," "Don't buy 'x' because it's poorly designed for airflow," etc.), or they might comment on the overpriced/underpriced nature of the specific cases. If it will help, I'll try to be lazier next time. :p

-JS

TRENDING THREADS