Sign in with
Your question

M4A78 Pro- general questions

Last response: in Motherboards
September 15, 2011 3:43:13 PM

Hello all,

Had a few questions regarding my desire to upgrade a few aspects of my rig. Currently using a M4A78 Pro mobo with an AMD Athlon 64 x2, and 2 x 2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram.

Awaiting a Newegg order of a Phenom II x6 @3.3Ghz. Would it be advantageous in any event to expand my ram with two more sticks of 2GB ram? I'm currently using Windows 7/Ubuntu.

Thanks for your time in advance.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 15, 2011 4:02:00 PM

uhm... I hope this doesn't put too much of a damper on your day but the MB you currently have will not support a Phenom II x6, only Phenom II x4 :( 

4GB of RAM is definitely on the lower side of the scale, and you would notice a boost in performance if you added more, but it is not necessary. It is also pointless to add more RAM if you are running win 7 32-bit, as you would have to reinstall the 64bit version to even use the extra RAM.
m
l
September 21, 2011 11:57:25 PM

You'll be pleased to hear that I upgraded to an Asus M4A87TD Evo with 8GB of DDR3 Gskill RAM. I just reformatted my whole drive. Windows 7 took about 20 minutes to completely install. I can already notice the difference of the processing power this Phenom II is making.

Thanks for bumming me out on that fateful day and subconsciously helping me choose to upgrade.
m
l
!