M4A78 Pro- general questions

Hello all,

Had a few questions regarding my desire to upgrade a few aspects of my rig. Currently using a M4A78 Pro mobo with an AMD Athlon 64 x2, and 2 x 2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram.

Awaiting a Newegg order of a Phenom II x6 @3.3Ghz. Would it be advantageous in any event to expand my ram with two more sticks of 2GB ram? I'm currently using Windows 7/Ubuntu.

Thanks for your time in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about m4a78 general questions
  1. uhm... I hope this doesn't put too much of a damper on your day but the MB you currently have will not support a Phenom II x6, only Phenom II x4 :(

4GB of RAM is definitely on the lower side of the scale, and you would notice a boost in performance if you added more, but it is not necessary. It is also pointless to add more RAM if you are running win 7 32-bit, as you would have to reinstall the 64bit version to even use the extra RAM.
  2. You'll be pleased to hear that I upgraded to an Asus M4A87TD Evo with 8GB of DDR3 Gskill RAM. I just reformatted my whole drive. Windows 7 took about 20 minutes to completely install. I can already notice the difference of the processing power this Phenom II is making.

Thanks for bumming me out on that fateful day and subconsciously helping me choose to upgrade.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus RAM Motherboards