Bios settings for new build

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I am about to fire up my first self built computer and was wondering if someone could tell me or post a link of what I need to do for my BIOS settings.
Thanks
my computer: ASUS P6T Deluxe
Intel I7 930
Sparkle NVIDIA GTX 480
6GB 3 x 2GB 1600Mhz 1.65v Corsair Dominator memory
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HD
Corsair TX850W PSU
NZXT Tempest Evo case

Solution
The best way for a new builder to do things is one step at a time, so that if/when something goes wrong you have a feel for what did it.

1. Install Windows, formatting the disk.
2. Boot into Windows and load the chipset, audio, NIC, etc drivers from the CD provided with the mobo. This may not be optimal, but the mobo should run with what is provided. If you have a wireless connection, alos install what is necessary to connect to the Internet.
3. With Internet connection established, download/install Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID's Hardware Monitor.
4. Run Prime95 (with "Detect Rounding Errors" checked) for an hour watching temps with Hardware Monitor. This tests cpu stress, heat, and memory.
5. Now that the basic system is running...

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Theres not really much you need to do unless your overclocking. Make sure your mobo is recognizing your ram as 1600mhz. If not you'll have to change it manually, along with the timings unless you have an X.M.P. option.

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Do you know what category that would be under? What about RAM voltage?

Accept the default options and stress test your build BEFORE fooling with BIOS. After you know how your PC responds, then go back and make changes (like memory) one at a time.

This way, if/when things go bad, you'll know what caused it.

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

How do I sress test it? Do I do that after I install Windows ?

The best way for a new builder to do things is one step at a time, so that if/when something goes wrong you have a feel for what did it.

1. Install Windows, formatting the disk.
2. Boot into Windows and load the chipset, audio, NIC, etc drivers from the CD provided with the mobo. This may not be optimal, but the mobo should run with what is provided. If you have a wireless connection, alos install what is necessary to connect to the Internet.
3. With Internet connection established, download/install Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID's Hardware Monitor.
4. Run Prime95 (with "Detect Rounding Errors" checked) for an hour watching temps with Hardware Monitor. This tests cpu stress, heat, and memory.
5. Now that the basic system is running smoothly, go to nVidia site, let them autodetect your graphics card, and dl/install the recommended drivers. If it doesn't detect your card correctly, try and resolve that issue.
6. Run Furmark and watch with HWM again.
7. Run Prime95 + Furmark watching cpu/gpu temps with HWM. Watch temps closely. If you were happy with the temps before this test, keep in mind this is an extreme test of cooling.

Now you can consider looking for latest mobo drivers from mfger's website. You can dl/install CPUID's CPU-z to show you available memory settings, and compare them to what BIOS defaulted to. After you change memory settings, run Prime95 again to ensure your memory remained stable with new settings.

Of course you can do a lot of this up front, but then you have little idea what caused the problem you may find you have.

Solution

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Ok, I will do everything you you listed.
Thanks. Do I install the video card drivers when I install the mobo drivers ?

No. Video driver is in Step 5. Mobo drivers are in Step 2.

Windows will operate your graphics card just fine with the "driver" it will use. Screen resolution will be quite restricted BUT it will WORK. And until Step 5 we don't need (potential) driver issues adding to what might go wrong.

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Ok, thanks. I'm on the mobo drivers now.

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Stock CPU fan + optional fan that came with mobo and the 6 chassis fans. All tests said 0 errors 0 warnings but all of the temps wer like within 1 degree of max. What should I use for cooling ?

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Dang, the tech guys at Comp USA swore this one would be better as long as I sandwich the radiator between two fans.
Any advice on removing the old thermal paste from the CPU ?

Its hard to know who to listen to lol. While the Hyper isn't the very best cooler, you really didn't have to sepnd $75 for the very best air cooler. Self contained liquid coolers have their uses. There are a series of articles by the real staff here at Tom's, if you are interested:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Cooling,7/

Anyhow, I've use single-edge razors and credit cards to accumulate paste in the center for removal with a lint-free cloth. Then isopropyl alcohol (on a cloth) is an adequate solvent for the remaining film, and evaporates quickly.

TERRIFIC! Much better temps, eh?

Anyhow, just to confirm, you completed Step #4. Move on to Step #5.

When you get to the Prime95 + Furmark step, stop the test if cpu > 75C or gpu > 90C and report. Remember, you've already passed the cpu stress test - you can cool it now - the combined test is more of a total case cooling test.

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I'm running furmark only right now and It went up to 94 then for a split second spiked to 177 !, came back down to 94, then the fan(s) kicked into high gear and it's flatlining around 92. I'm going to shut it down . Let me know what you think.
Actually HM said it got up to 94 not 177.

Timonator

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I ran Furmark for a half an hour with the case side cover off. It only got up to 92 degrees c . I flipped the fan on the side cover so it will work as an exhaust. We'll see what that does.