BSOD Memory Management

Problem: Got a new computer ran fine for 2 weeks. Suddenly 2 days ago BSOD memory management. Thought it was a one off thing. Happened again 40 minutes later. Happened again next day. Ran Memtest+ after 30 seconds Memtest reported errors, everything turned red.

Brought back the computer. The tech guy just called and said he's running Memtest+ (older version) and "memtest+ has reported no errors so far". One thing to note he did not boot up windows he just went into Memtest+. I asked him to boot up windows and let it stand there for half an hour to see if it crashes.

Weird not sure why he's not getting errors like I did. What does this sound like Memory issue or windows issue?

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 i7-2600K 3.40 GHz Processor
MOBO: Asus P8P67 PRO (not sure if the lastest BIOS is up to date)
RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB DDR3 SDRAM (4 x 4 GB)
HD: 256 GB Internal Solid State Drive
Windows 7 (64 bit)

EDIT: Forgot ot mention 2 PCI-E video cards (Nvidia 470GTX and an older BFG 7800 )

If it comes back and passed everything at the shop what should I do as my next steps?

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about bsod memory management
  1. Look at the Event Manager and ask the 'Tech' to do the same, and then to analyze the 'Dump File' and report back to you. To run Memtest86+ you don't boot into Windows, and a newer or older version won't matter but should use version 4.10 or higher -> http://www.memtest.org/#history

Example look of 'Critical Errors'
  2. Thanks will do.
  3. Tech guys called. Computer has been on all day with no problems. He said he's going to run Memtest over night to be sure. However if it does not crash on him there is nothing he can do.

He looked at the Event Manager and said there were some power kernel interruptions (or something like that) on the dates when the comp crashed on me. He asked how much stuff I had hooked up to the computer and what's on that circuit (wall outlet). He said it might have been a power fluctuation.

I informed him my previous computer had never had problems. I also should note that the PSU Im using on the new build came from my old build (Galaxy Enermax 1000w 4 years old mabey a bit less) so I asked him to check the leads on the PSU.

I should Also note I have 3 (one is a 24" the other 2 are 19") LCD monitors + a Wacom 12inch Cintiq drawing tablet (The one with the monitor built into the tablet) however the tablet is only powered on when in use drawing.

He said all that stuff could be causing it. BUT that does not explain how I got red bars on my MemTest and he doesn't get it on his.
  4. I agree. If the circuit is only 15AMP with 1000W and all the stuff listed then sure an overload or 'grey-out' can cause the PC to shutdown. Most homes run too much on a single 15AMP line and you might be sharing power outside your 'room.'

A Kernel error with no explanation is often a sign of a power {A/C} issue. Hire an electrician to run a 20AMP line. ;)
  5. I have 2 outlets in the office. 1 power bar has all 3 monitors hooked up. The other doesn't have much.

One thing I'm going to try is switching the 24" 1920x1080 monitor to the other. If that doesn't work because it's on the same circuit I'll disconnect a monitor. I need 2 the third is just a nice to have.

I have also read about multiple monitors causing BOSD. There is a fix that involves changing values in the registry. Here...

http://www.techmetica.com/howto/descriptions-and-fixes-of-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-crash-errors/

Scroll to down to ... No More System PTEs (stop code 0X0000003F) Good idea? Or try the less monitor route.

Also I should mention I have 2 video cards running in the 2 PCI-E slots (470GTX) Has the 24" and a 19" (and a BFG 7800? not sure, but it has the Wacom Cintiq and a 19" hooked up). I've read on the Nvidia forums that I need to define which is using what in the BIOS. Does that seem right? I didn't need to do that on the old system.
  6. Chances are as I mentioned, those (2) outlets are on a single circuit. In my house I had to hire an electrician so our stuff would run without tripping the breaker.

However, sure unless the 'Tech' had all your monitors and equipment then the testing environment is completely different.

I don't know about that registry 'tweak' if it works then kudos, in my office some of my guys have 1-3+ monitors. It requires the GPU(s) to have adequate 'Shared system memory' and if memory gets low then all sorts of havoc can occur.

Most to my knowledge all GTX 470 {DirectX 11} support up to (2) monitors unless in SLI. That's the reason I selected the cheapo HD 5770 for the office which supports up to (3) monitors for a single GPU. Running a second different GPU like e.g. GeForce 7800 {DirectX 9c} can work separately as long as it has all the drivers properly installed, but I the DirectX differences might be the root cause if a e.g. DirectX API is called.
  7. Okay, got the computer back on Friday. Hooked up my big monitor (24") to another power bar on another outlet. No BSOD. Left it on all weekend no problems.

There ya go.
  8. Glad to hear and I hope it stays that way for you! :) Q- Did you remove the 3rd monitor or 2nd older GPU or make any other changes?

In any case best of luck!
  9. I didn't remove anything. Just plugged the 24" monitor into the other socket.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Blue Screen Memory Management Motherboards