Inter I7 950 overheating problem :(

MRENIGMA

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello!

Since today my computer is unable to start up :( I think its overheating! Which is rather weird.. A friend of mine built my computer about a month ago and a few days ago my computer just shut down all of a sudden! And not a friendly shutdown, just -woosh- turned off.. And when I tried to start it again it happened again so I just left it for a while. Then later I managed to start it again and downloaded that RealTemp program. My CPU was 100 degrees!
Pretty much whenever I do something it goes to 100 degrees & then it shuts down because its getting too warm. Now I have installed 2 new fans & my friend is going to install a new processorcooler next tuesday.. But for some reason I don't think it's going to fix the problem.

At this moment, my computer can run for about 30 seconds if I'm lucky. Last night I managed to start it and my CPU was a steady 100 degrees.. No more no less.. And then it shut down again. I tried to check the temperature in the BIOS as well, in there its 86 degrees and it has never changed besides one time.. then it went to -31 degrees.

Now.. I dont know what to do! Do you guys think the new processorfan will solve the problem? Can it be possible the temperature thingy broke which causes it to think its 100 degrees?

Does anyone know what the problem is? :(

---

In case I need to add this I have a:
Intel Core I7 950 3.06 Ghz Quad Core (not overclocked!)
MSI X58A-GD65 Motherboard

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Yes, it sounds like to me its an overheating issue. A few questions though to narrow the issue down...

1. What are you doing whenever it shutdown abruptly the first time?
2. You say the CPU runs at 100 degrees, do you mean Fahrenheit or Celsius?
3. What kind of motherboard and power supply do you have?

MRENIGMA

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello thanks for replying guys!

"1. What are you doing whenever it shutdown abruptly the first time?"
Nothing really, the first time it happened i was just talking on msn.. But it even happens when I'd leave it in the BIOS.. It just shuts down

"2. You say the CPU runs at 100 degrees, do you mean Fahrenheit or Celsius?"
If it only were fahrenheit :( it's celsius.. way too hot right?

"3. What kind of motherboard and power supply do you have?"
I haveee.. MSI X58A-GD65 as my motherboard! And a Cooler Master Silent Pro M Gold 800 Watt, 20+24 Pins as power supply.. Unless this is not what you meant :p

"First thing to do is take the side off the case and make sure the cpu fan is spinning, theres no way it should get that hot and I would advise using it with those temps anyway"
It sure it spinning :(

"If it is running ok try removing the existing cooler, give everything a good clean and re-apply thermal paste"
That's what we're going to do though.. Do you really think thats the solution if it gets so hot now with a working cpu fan?

"Also see whats temps are reported under HWmonitor"
I can't :( the computer shuts down before i get the chance to do anything.

Thanks for replying anyway calmstateofmind and beanoslim, I hope you guys reply soon again!

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Yeah, sounds like you literally have no thermal paste, which is kind of odd because the computer is only a month old...unless you never applied therm during initial build. But if that were the case, you would surely have overheated before 3 and 1/2 weeks pass. Its also a bit weird that it overheats while just in the BIOS...

100C, I figured as much. Lol. That's extremely hot for your CPU, as your CPU should never break 80C (imo). Mine running with max load peaks @ 50C. Anymore than 60C and I show it some attention.

Nevertheless, check the paste and let us know if reapplying some therm makes a difference (You want just a small drop as it'll spread once the fan/heatsink is applied).

Also along the lines of that, you could still have the fan hooked up with therm on the CPU but the fan could not fully be installed on top of the CPU, which would also result in an overheat and shutdown.

Anyway, let us know how it goes!

MRENIGMA

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Ive been working on it all day and I managed to install the new cpu fan with the paste applied and now its steady at about 30 degrees! Thanks for your help guys, without your encouragement i would've waited till tuesday!