Is there a step by step giude to installing memory sticks

malcolmpughjones

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello,

I have a hp pavilion 462.uk i would like to ad more memory i have purchased 2x512 sticks but at the moment my pc is running 1x256 and it is very slow it would help if there was a step by sep guide to help change the memory i have never done this before i went to my local computer repair shop to ask if they could place the new memory in my pc when isaid that i had purchased them the lost all intres in doing the work i sippose the were hoping to sell new memory at a high price although i did ofer to pay labour charge. Anyway if there is some help out there it would be great. My memory stick are DIMMs

To be honest changing the memory is one of the easiest things you can change in a computer, and will definitely give you a noticible boost.

Step 1:
Unplug the power and open the computer up, and place it in such a way that everything is easily accessible, generally laying it on its side is the easiest.

Step 2:
Ground yourself by touching any metal parts of the chassis

Step 3:
Locate the existing RAM, since you already have the new sticks you should be able to pick out where they are pretty easily.

Step 4:
On either side of the existing RAM there is a little white tab, you will need to pull those tabs away from the RAM until the RAM starts to come up. Once you do that to both sides, you will be able to lift the RAM out of the socket.

Step 5:
Make sure you ground yourself again. (do this often just to be safe, and follow good practice)

Step 6:
Open 1 of the new sticks of RAM, and make sure you have it facing the correct direction (eg. the pins line up with the slot) and insert it into the slot closest to the CPU. Push the chip evenly until the white tabs at the end lock it into place. note that you will have to use some force, just make sure you press it evenly and it is lined up properly.

Step 7: repeat step 6 with the second stick of RAM. putting it in the slot next the the first one.

Step 8: put case back together and plug power back in.

Step 9: Boot computer and enjoy the new RAM :)

Hopefully this should be pretty straightforward, but let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck!