Lost Administrator user account

I have a problem that I cannot seem to work out no matter what I do. Please
let me know if I'm in the wrong group, but I'm hoping this is the right
place to start.

I have Windows XP Home Edition. I bought it and have a valid key and all
that. I am just a home user, not a company. Been fine for years and I
install PCAnywhere on my computer and everything has changed. Instead of
automatically logging in ( no passwords) I now have become a limited user.
I've added( and can see more accounts in safe mode, but when I log on I get
the log-on window with administrator in it and an error message saying
configuration ( or something is wrong). I can put my name in and hit enter
and go in Windows, but only as limited. By the way, I uninstalled
PCAnywhere in the meantime but I can't get in as adminstrator. Do I have to
reinstall windows XP now? Have tried everything I can think of. Appreciate
any help or suggestions. Thanks a million.
Al alanj77@verizon.net

--

Al
4 answers Last reply

    You must startup in Safe Mode in order to logon as local administrator with
    Windows XP Home.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Alan Johnston" wrote:
    |I have a problem that I cannot seem to work out no matter what I do.
    Please
    | let me know if I'm in the wrong group, but I'm hoping this is the right
    | place to start.
    |
    | I have Windows XP Home Edition. I bought it and have a valid key and all
    | that. I am just a home user, not a company. Been fine for years and I
    | install PCAnywhere on my computer and everything has changed. Instead of
    | automatically logging in ( no passwords) I now have become a limited user.
    | I've added( and can see more accounts in safe mode, but when I log on I
    get
    | the log-on window with administrator in it and an error message saying
    | configuration ( or something is wrong). I can put my name in and hit enter
    | and go in Windows, but only as limited. By the way, I uninstalled
    | PCAnywhere in the meantime but I can't get in as adminstrator. Do I have
    | reinstall windows XP now? Have tried everything I can think of.
    Appreciate
    | any help or suggestions. Thanks a million.
    | Al alanj77@verizon.net
    |
    | --
    |

    | Al

    Thanks. I don't know what happened, but I finally got in. Thing is......
    When I boot up, I get that error message about adminstrative rights or
    something. The name in the log-on is admistrator and I change that to
    another account name and, finally made it in with the admin rights. I don't
    know why THIS happens, but, hey, I'm back in. Just need to figure out what
    to do about getting back to the original log-on where I ( or anyone) can
    just boot up into windows without any password intervention. Thanks,
    Al

    "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > You must startup in Safe Mode in order to logon as local administrator
    > with
    > Windows XP Home.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Alan Johnston" wrote:
    > |I have a problem that I cannot seem to work out no matter what I do.
    > Please
    > | let me know if I'm in the wrong group, but I'm hoping this is the right
    > | place to start.
    > |
    > | I have Windows XP Home Edition. I bought it and have a valid key and
    > all
    > | that. I am just a home user, not a company. Been fine for years and I
    > | install PCAnywhere on my computer and everything has changed. Instead
    > of
    > | automatically logging in ( no passwords) I now have become a limited
    > user.
    > | I've added( and can see more accounts in safe mode, but when I log on I
    > get
    > | the log-on window with administrator in it and an error message saying
    > | configuration ( or something is wrong). I can put my name in and hit
    > enter
    > | and go in Windows, but only as limited. By the way, I uninstalled
    > | PCAnywhere in the meantime but I can't get in as adminstrator. Do I
    > have
    > | reinstall windows XP now? Have tried everything I can think of.
    > Appreciate
    > | any help or suggestions. Thanks a million.
    > | Al alanj77@verizon.net
    > |
    > | --
    > |

    > | Al

    You're welcome.

    --

    "Alan Johnston" wrote:
    | Thanks. I don't know what happened, but I finally got in. Thing is......
    | When I boot up, I get that error message about adminstrative rights or
    | something. The name in the log-on is admistrator and I change that to
    | another account name and, finally made it in with the admin rights. I
    don't
    | know why THIS happens, but, hey, I'm back in. Just need to figure out
    what
    | to do about getting back to the original log-on where I ( or anyone) can
    | just boot up into windows without any password intervention. Thanks,
    | Al
  4. Hi,

    In your case I suppose you trying Active@ password changer utility. That should really help. It is small, easy to use and can quickly reset your lost or forgotten login pass. that helped me before so give it a try.

    http://www.password-changer.com/

Configuration Windows XP