Dedicated physx GPU setups

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • GPUs
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2010 6:45:09 AM

So I just recently ordered a GeForce GTX 470 to replace a failed 9800GX2 (ew... I'm using a backup 7950GT), one thing that I really LOVED about that card was the ability to dedicate one of the GPU's to physx. Unfortunately the card died about a week after I got to use it, luck of the draw. I did notice how the physx worked quite well in games like Mafia 2 and Crysis (all in DX9, WinXP 32bit). Anyways, I upgraded my system to Win 7 64bit and ordered this 470 and am wondering how the card runs with physx enabled. I have heard of people buying other cards and dedicating those GPU's just to physics... like an 8800GT, but it has to be an 8 series or higher to enable the physics right?

I'm just wondering, those of you out there with the 460/65/70/80, how much of a hit does the FPS take when you start ramping up physx? And how much power would a dedicated card really need to provide to have smooth physics?

More about : dedicated physx gpu setups

a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 7:03:47 AM

Crysis and Mafia 2? I believe its called the "halo effect". Neither of those games support GPU accelerated PhysX, so what you were doing was meaningless.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

Those are the only 16 games that get a boost from having the GPU do the PhysX. Unless your CPU totally sucks you would have been better off having both cores on the gx2 do graphics. This also means that you should have the GTX470 do the graphics. Unless you play one of those games, it isn't going to make any difference.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 7:22:48 AM

Crysis doesn't support PhysX but Mafia 2 does, however enabling PhysX will give you a noticeable performance drop compared to when its disabled.
Most people play with PhysX disabled because it doesn't make a huge difference in graphics(in almost all games), and instead it will reduce your FPS.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 7:55:33 AM

4745454b said:
Crysis and Mafia 2? I believe its called the "halo effect". Neither of those games support GPU accelerated PhysX, so what you were doing was meaningless.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

Those are the only 16 games that get a boost from having the GPU do the PhysX. Unless your CPU totally sucks you would have been better off having both cores on the gx2 do graphics. This also means that you should have the GTX470 do the graphics. Unless you play one of those games, it isn't going to make any difference.

Maybe I just assumed with Crysis, but with Mafia 2 I distinctly recall an option to up the physics and it even shows the Physx sign by the option. I used it with Dark Void but that game blows IMO.

Anyways, good to know.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 8:17:09 AM

Any guess why its not on the list? I haven't read a review of Mafia 2 to know one way or another, but that list is usually current.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 8:32:28 AM

Mafia II is a HEAVILY Phsyx based game, I acutally really enjoy having them on high in that game, but thats just me. Its just more eye candy, I wouldn't go out and buy a card just for a Phsyx however. I wouldn't go below a GT240 for Mafia II, if you absolutely had to.

http://www.overclock.net/video-game-news/799865-physxin...

As you see an older card can acutally bring your performance DOWN (that game is a rare example, but its the game you asked about).

I would just try out your GTX 470 and see if your happy with it alone.
m
l
September 3, 2010 1:44:19 PM

jackcrackerman said:
Maybe I just assumed with Crysis, but with Mafia 2 I distinctly recall an option to up the physics and it even shows the Physx sign by the option. I used it with Dark Void but that game blows IMO.

Anyways, good to know.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html

edit: woops, meant to quote 474
m
l
a c 173 Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 1:45:53 PM

4745454b said:
Any guess why its not on the list? I haven't read a review of Mafia 2 to know one way or another, but that list is usually current.

Mafia 2 does appear to use GPU PhysX, here's a little review for you.
m
l
September 3, 2010 4:33:43 PM

For Physx I've got a 9600gso (96sp G92) that I picked up for $25 dead and baked. Works great for me. A gt240 should perform about the same.
m
l
September 4, 2010 7:06:06 PM

Good to know I'm not going crazy. I knew Mafia 2 had Physx.

Anyways, I was just asking because I saw a video of a dude using an ATI 5970(?) for video processing and a Geforce 480 for physx processing... me personally, I think that is complete overkill why would you need a 480 just for physics?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2010 11:36:59 PM

You don't, but if you have cash to burn why not?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2010 7:00:45 AM

Even if you have cash to burn,its a waste.Instead of using a 5970 with a GTX 480 as a PhsyX card, you can go with dual 5970s or 1 5970 with a 5870 and get a better performance.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2010 9:17:19 AM

I don't think you understand the concept money to burn. First, the best gaming rig would have a dedicated PhysX card. Second, seeing as we are loaded, you can't just have ANY card handling PhysX, you NEED the best. The best current Nvidia card is the ??? ;) 

I'm with you on this, but for some you HAVE to have it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2010 11:59:12 AM

Got your point.
m
l
September 6, 2010 1:11:12 PM

So much discussion but no one told anything about how much power should a physx card have.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 2:18:58 PM

You'll be fine even with a card like GTS 250.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 11:04:23 PM

If you want to enable the higher levels of PhysX for all games I believe the GTS250 or GTX260 is the card to get. Anything less then that and you might have issues running high PhysX details for some games.
m
l
!