Sign in with
Your question

Replacing 9800 GT 1GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2010 8:12:33 AM

Hello All.
I had a PNY 9800 GT 1GB card that burnt out on me. very depressing when I found out that PNY has crap of warranty.

Ive always turned to Tomshardware for reviews of products in the past, but now I am looking for a more in depth advise.

My budget is $200. Im looking at either an ATi 5770, specifically the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770
Or a 460 Fermi like GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)

I would like to keep it under the $200 mark. Im eying the 5770 because of its decent reviews over power and heat. but Im also eying the Fermi because its like.. new...

So, experts, help me out, which is best, or is there something other than those 2 that would be a great replacement for my paperweight 9800 GT

More about : replacing 9800 1gb

a c 153 U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 8:37:42 AM

What PSU, Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and Resolution do you have? This all make a big factor when it comes to what card to get.

The GTX 460 is quite a bit better, if your just talking about performance.
September 3, 2010 9:21:32 AM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX Mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
4GB DDR3 1600
1680 x 1050

I am currently using the onboard solution that comes with that mobo after i remove the 9800 GT, its not a great solution, but at least my whole PC isn't bricked
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 9:30:34 AM

What's your PSU brand/ power? We'll need to know that before we can guide you. You're not the first one to complain about that brand of GPU. Make sure you stick with one of these:

MSI, ASUS, EVGA, XFX, Gigabyte

Your PSU brand is very important too!! The good brands are Antec, Corsair, CoolerMaster.

As for the GPU, get the GTX460. It'll be the best bang for the buck!

Here's the 768 mb for 199 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's the 1 gb for 219 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Though I know you said 'under 200', if possible, get the 1 gb for 20 bucks more. It's got a better bus.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 9:48:52 AM

For resolution, HD5770 is good. But overall the GTX460 is a better card. So i would say the GTX460 1GB.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 11:52:11 AM

Go for GTX460 since it is in your budget and it will last you longer than a HD5770.
September 4, 2010 2:22:53 AM

Ok, I am going to try and get the GTX 460, if I can run together and get the 1gb one, I would.

but now a second question, brand preferences.
Im trying to stick to Newegg, as I have nothing but great experience with them as a point of sale. personally, I have experience with Gigabyte brand. I had one card with them, but that fried as well, however, even though they gave me a run around, they at least held their warranty and replaced the card (eventually)
Ive heard that EVGA brand is good, but some of the personal reviews Ive read suggest their quality is declining.

So, I was wondering whats been a good brand to work with?
a c 153 U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 3:05:20 AM

EVGAs quality isn't decling, whats happening is a lot of other companies (MSI and ASUS in particular) are stepping up their game.

Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, EVGA, are all great brands. Palit and Zotac are pretty decent as well.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 3:34:03 AM

Getting the 1GB 460 is definitely a good idea, that cyclone is also factory overclocked and features a after-market heatsink and fan.

That corsair will definitely handle it.

However, Keeping in mind that the 6xxx series is due out from ATi in october, It's expected that the first cards released(6750, 6770) should be on par or better than the Radeon 5830, From a price/performance standpoint if you wait around you may get a better deal on your card this way, and even if there not better the older 5xxx series is due to have a price drop when the new series comes out and that could mean you could pick up a 5850 for the same price as the 460 if lucky. It's definitively worth a consideration.
September 5, 2010 2:50:05 PM

Hello helpful people. an Update, I have decided i will get the 1GB GTX 460, either Gibabyte or the MSI. (at the time of purchase, Im looking for the best warranty between them).

But, I thought some of my fellow techheads would like to know about the fried card.
I did some troubleshooting to see if I could recover the 9800, to no avail.
so, being a nerd with A.D.D., I took it apart, and low and behold, It really fried, after taking the heat sink off, i discovered that the 'thermal paste/bond' was not paste at all, but a thin film of powder.
Looking at both surfaces of the chip and the chip contact point, i didn't see the residual overflow from a paste, It was litterly like somebody took a cotton swap, and dabbed some powder on the chip, and then applied the heat sink.

However, the thermal paste over the memory was more than adequate

edit:
would like to add, this is the first time i have ever noticed this, in any thing, but looking closer at the thermal pads that covered the memory chips, i noticed something, it was burnt, it litteraly turned golden brown on the edge of one of the pads,
!