Sign in with
Your question

one for the pros

Last response: in Networking
November 11, 2004 2:40:07 PM

My network uses a Watchguard firebox 700 as firewall, VPN and internet Gateway.

altough our connection is lightning fast (10Mbit) and every service works fine, there is one little problem.

one of our service providers uses a web edition interface with heavy JAVA and it often times out.

Now, on their sides, they say we're the only ones complaining of this while on my side it appears that their web site is the only one with these symptoms...

should I get a second Gateway to handle web browsing and make sure that the load of those java scripts and objects is not hampered by the normal traffic going through our firewall?

or am I wasting My time?

BIOSTAR M7NCG Athlon XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600SE
Adaptec 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
2 x Quantum Atlas 10K3 18 WLS
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
AOpen Micro-ATX Desktop 200W

More about : pros

November 11, 2004 3:39:43 PM

So you are unable to view a website that has heavy java?
I don't know much about java but I can't see any network equipment causing java problems. Are you sure it isn't something to do with the machines on your network? Can you see the website w/o problems from a different location/internet connection on a machine that can't see it on your network?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 11, 2004 3:55:20 PM

none of the machines on the network can properly access "some" pages of the website... those that use lots of java.

but with my laptop, I can full access it using my home broadband connection, something I can't do with the same laptop at work.

My firewall has options to block Java applets and activX components... those options are disabled, of course.

ATI RADEON 9600SE
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
Related resources
November 11, 2004 5:09:54 PM

Hm... You could check and see if your firewall is blocking content fairly easily I think. If you put a linux proxy server in a dmz/give it an external ip you should be able to bypass any sort of filtering the firewall is doing. If you arn't very versed in linux any of the free router distros should let you set up a proxy fairly quickly and easily. Just find a spare machine, put 2 nics in it, install a linux router distro (i like clarkconnect and ipcop), put it in a dmz/give it external ip and point your browser to it.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 11, 2004 7:16:22 PM

thanks,

this or using a seperate gateway is about the same from my point of view. since I have an available public IP that I can use for test purposes.

it's good to have a second opinion sometimes, thanks a lot.

ATI RADEON 9600SE
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
!