XP shutdown (auto?)

G

My instalations of XP have turned my computer off before when shutting down, but sometimes, like now, it says 'it is now safe to turn off your PC' and its driving me mad!!!

is there a setting that i am missing? PLEASE help.

G

Maybe you didnt understand the question.

When i go to shut down the PC, i am left with the screen that says 'it is now safe to turn off your PC' after XP is finished closing.

Has anyone seen this and do you know how to get it to turn off the powersupply?

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Damn it, i have the same "problem", not really a problem but having to wait to turn off the pc is annoying..

in win2k, the PC shut itself off, but now i get that message ? anyone got an advice ?

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have the same problem. It only does it on my PII though. Works fine on my T-bird. The thing is that when I did the upgrade on my PII it worked fine, but when I did a fresh install of XP (once I felt it was a good OS) it started with this irritating problem. Half the time I forget to turn it off and it just sits there.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

erdie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
i have had the same problem, at first i thought that i had done something wrong. i would be interested if anyone can solve this problem

dhlucke

Polypheme
I solved it.

Go to control panel > power options.On APM tab put a tick in "Enable advanced power management features" box.

If the tab isn't there you need to go into your bios and enable advance power options.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

Good to see others are with me in this problem... i think.

But i cant get that tab to show. AMP is enabled in my bios. There are IRQ's there that some arent being monitored. Could switching them do the trick and is it safe to touch them?

XP might start up pretty fast, but it could have some help on the shut down... just the fact i have to wait for it to turn it off urks me.