Pressing E / use doesn't work when vehicle is stopped

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 23, 2004 12:00:01 AM

Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
vehicles) isn't moving, and it's the MOST ANNOYING BUG I HAVE EVER SEEN... I
get stuck in a raptor, I press E and nothing at all happens, I just sit
there like an idiot trapped in a raptor until I suicide, it's not as bad
until you get into newer levels that use helicopters, because if they hit
anything they crash, and if you jump out of them while moving you get your
head cut off half the time....
June 23, 2004 12:00:29 AM

Does anyone know of a client side fix for this or when it will be patched,
if ever?
June 23, 2004 12:41:44 PM

Schism enlightened us with:
> Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
> vehicles) isn't moving

Ok, and what is this E key supposed to do? For me, it's "walk forward".

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Related resources
June 23, 2004 12:41:45 PM

MeltDown wrote:

> Schism enlightened us with:
>> Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
>> vehicles) isn't moving
>
> Ok, and what is this E key supposed to do? For me, it's "walk forward".
>
> MeltDown

Unless you changed your default key setup, "E" enters a vehicle and leaves a
vehicle.
June 23, 2004 1:21:22 PM

lurker enlightened us with:
> Unless you changed your default key setup, "E" enters a vehicle and
> leaves a vehicle.

Ah, ok. Makes more sense now. I never had trouble getting out of a
vehicle...

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:53:38 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:00:01 -0600, Schism <blah@NO_SP*A-Maforce.net> sayeth:
>Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
>vehicles) isn't moving, and it's the MOST ANNOYING BUG I HAVE EVER SEEN... I
>get stuck in a raptor, I press E and nothing at all happens, I just sit
>there like an idiot trapped in a raptor until I suicide, it's not as bad
>until you get into newer levels that use helicopters, because if they hit
>anything they crash, and if you jump out of them while moving you get your
>head cut off half the time....

Never seen that problem. If you haven't already, check your key binding
to be sure the enter-vehicle key hasn't been rebound to something else.

If this were a widespread problem, I would imagine it would be all
over the UT2004 forums at www.unrealtournament.com, but haven't seen
anything like that.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

MeltDown wrote:
> I never had trouble getting out of a vehicle...

Then yer clearly not drinking enough! ;-)

FeldrewCo30
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:56:40 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:00:01 -0600, Schism wrote:

> Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
> vehicles) isn't moving, and it's the MOST ANNOYING BUG I HAVE EVER SEEN... I
> get stuck in a raptor, I press E and nothing at all happens, I just sit
> there like an idiot trapped in a raptor until I suicide, it's not as bad
> until you get into newer levels that use helicopters, because if they hit
> anything they crash, and if you jump out of them while moving you get your
> head cut off half the time....

You obviously have a key-binding problem. I'd guess that you don't have
"E" bound to anything. Go into your setup, and fix it.

Linux Registered User #327951
June 23, 2004 10:14:24 PM

Schism wrote:
> Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
> vehicles) isn't moving, and it's the MOST ANNOYING BUG I HAVE EVER SEEN... I
> get stuck in a raptor, I press E and nothing at all happens, I just sit
> there like an idiot trapped in a raptor until I suicide, it's not as bad
> until you get into newer levels that use helicopters, because if they hit
> anything they crash, and if you jump out of them while moving you get your
> head cut off half the time....

Have you tried using U? I use it, and don't recall binding the key myself.
June 23, 2004 10:36:51 PM

feldrewCo30 enlightened us with:
> Then yer clearly not drinking enough! ;-)

Oh yes, but when I'm drinking I never smash up my car so badly that I
get stuck.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 23, 2004 11:20:28 PM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:19:56 GMT, lurker
<lurker@lurking.somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>MeltDown wrote:
>
>> Schism enlightened us with:
>>> Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly raptors and flying
>>> vehicles) isn't moving
>>
>> Ok, and what is this E key supposed to do? For me, it's "walk forward".
>>
>> MeltDown
>
>Unless you changed your default key setup, "E" enters a vehicle and leaves a
>vehicle.

I thought it was the "U" key? :-/
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:26:02 AM

"Chris Bradley" <furrier@iglou.com> wrote in message

> Never seen that problem. If you haven't already, check your key binding
> to be sure the enter-vehicle key hasn't been rebound to something else.

If it isn't bound to that, how did this person get IN the vehicle in the
first place? ;op

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

Don't worry, Dan C is just trying to make me look stupid because I put my
replies before that which I'm replying to in my USENET messages and because
I like to run mIRC while I game.... that or he thinks the key magically
binds when I get in the vehicle and unbinds when I stop moving....

> how did this person get IN the vehicle then?
June 24, 2004 4:45:28 PM

An example of when it happens is
http://s87749883.onlinehome.us/helicopter.jpg
I hit E like 5 times in a row and I won't get out, but I can easily bail out
at any time, another example of this happening in regular UT2004 is when I
try to do a complete landing on top of torlan tower with the raptor, It has
to be moving before it will let me out.

> Ah, ok. Makes more sense now. I never had trouble getting out of a
> vehicle...
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 5:40:10 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:37:25 -0600, Schism wrote:

> Don't worry, Dan C is just trying to make me look stupid because I put
> my

Actually, I wasn't. But you are doing a fine job of that yourself.

> replies before that which I'm replying to in my USENET messages and
> because I like to run mIRC while I game....

Yes, these things make you look stupid too.

> that or he thinks the key magically binds when I get in the vehicle and
> unbinds when I stop moving....

Uh, no, I don't think that. I think you are just stupid.

Linux Registered User #327951
June 24, 2004 5:53:04 PM

Fine with me, it doesn't really bother me what random people over the net
think of me. In the future, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't reply to
anything I post, although I realize you probably will continue to do so.
Some people are just immature and like to start controversy with random
people over the net for no reason.

You never read it in full anyways, or assuming you did, never use common
sense when doing so. Really, "I'd guess that you don't have "E" bound to
anything." How the hell did I get in the vehicle in the first place?
Margolis even saw the lack of common sense in that. What part do you not
understand about only being able to get out when the vehicle is moving?

> Uh, no, I don't think that. I think you are just stupid.

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 7:07:26 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:53:04 -0600, Schism <BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> sayeth:

>You never read it in full anyways, or assuming you did, never use common
>sense when doing so. Really, "I'd guess that you don't have "E" bound to
>anything." How the hell did I get in the vehicle in the first place?
>Margolis even saw the lack of common sense in that. What part do you not
>understand about only being able to get out when the vehicle is moving?

Nobody else is having this problem on the forums or on here, so it's
isolated to your configuration.

Remove your User.ini and UT2004.ini files and start from scratch and
reconfigure everything. Also turn off any mutators that may be buggy
and interfering with vehicle code.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

It's always done this, I've reinstalled 3 times for other various reasons
and it's still doing it.

> Remove your User.ini and UT2004.ini files and start from scratch and
> reconfigure everything. Also turn off any mutators that may be buggy
> and interfering with vehicle code.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:11:18 PM

thumper wrote:

>> Unless you changed your default key setup, "E" enters a vehicle and
>> leaves a vehicle.

> I thought it was the "U" key? :-/

That's what everyone said, but "E" is bound as well (and far easier to
reach, obviously).

Oliver.
June 25, 2004 12:26:24 AM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:24:00 -0600, "Schism"
<BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> thinks he knows better than thousands of
years of written language and top posted:

>It's always done this, I've reinstalled 3 times for other various reasons
>and it's still doing it.

Try unplugging any gamepads or joysticks on your system.
June 25, 2004 1:04:30 AM

Dan C wrote:

> I think you are just stupid.

Judging from your other messages in the past few months, you basically
think that about everybody, yes?

Oliver.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:04:31 AM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:04:30 +0200, Oliver J. Hanau wrote:

>> I think you are just stupid.

> Judging from your other messages in the past few months, you basically
> think that about everybody, yes?

Not at all. Only the ones who demonstrate that they are.

Linux Registered User #327951
June 25, 2004 1:04:32 AM

I'd like to hear in your words how I demonstrated this.

> Not at all. Only the ones who demonstrate that they are.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 2:09:23 AM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:28:41 -0600, Schism wrote:

>> Not at all. Only the ones who demonstrate that they are.

> I'd like to hear in your words how I demonstrated this.

One way is by your refusal to recognize an *obvious* key-bind /
configuration error. Another is your top-posting.

Linux Registered User #327951
June 25, 2004 2:49:07 AM

> One way is by your refusal to recognize an *obvious* key-bind /
> configuration error.

There is no keybind error, there never was, nor is there a configuration
error.
June 25, 2004 5:05:15 AM

Schism enlightened us with:
> I'd like to hear in your words how I demonstrated this.

I wouldn't call it stupid, but you are annoyingly replying in the
wrong order. Every English reading person reads from top to bottom.
Now take a look at this:

> Why is top posting so hard to read?
> > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
> > When they top post.
In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

If people do it the other way around, things will clear up instantly:

> > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
> > When they top post.
> Why is top posting so hard to read?
In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

The best response type is "in-line" posting, that is, remove all the
quoted text that does not apply to your response, adding your comments
in context underneath as you go.

The distributed nature of Usenet is causing that not everyone sees all
posts in a particular thread in the right order or or even at all. If
you make sure you put your reply in a top-to-bottom order, people will
be able to easily read through it from top to bottom.

Be sure to remove all excess quoted text though. There is nothing more
annoying than having to scroll down three pages of quoted text you
already read, just to read a two-lined reply ;-)

A more complete guide to posting to Usenet can be found at

The relevant section on good posting form is here
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 5:05:16 AM

> The distributed nature of Usenet is causing that not everyone sees all
> posts in a particular thread in the right order or or even at all.

I did not realize that, I will start doing it the correct way from now on,
thanks.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:47:55 AM

"Schism" <BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> Blessed us with

> I'd like to hear in your words how I demonstrated this.

No you don't! Dan C is one of those people that should throw up a
red flag upon first seeing his/her/its words! I've had him/her/it
in my killfile for quite a while now. It really does make it easier
to just killfile complete stupidity and go on! :-)

>> Not at all. Only the ones who demonstrate that they are.

And I have to be blessed with the stupid words of Dan C who
demonstrates pure stupidity upon each and every post just because
someone quoted him/her/it(circle one)!. :-( Watch out because
Dan C will start in on you with trivial stuff like speeling,
punctuation, and grammar errors. Yeah I speeled "speeling" just
for you Dan!

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:43:05 PM

> It's always done this, I've reinstalled 3 times for other various reasons
> and it's still doing it.

I'm guessing you've left the default configuration and tried that, yes?

--
IWIK
June 25, 2004 12:43:06 PM

> I'm guessing you've left the default configuration and tried that, yes?

Yes
June 25, 2004 12:51:13 PM

Schism enlightened us with:
> I did not realize that, I will start doing it the correct way from now on,
> thanks.

Great! I always like it when someone listens to good arguments ;-)
Some top posters would call me names, call it their good right to
top-post, but they couldn't give me any logic for doing so. I'm glad
you saw the light :D

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 12:51:14 PM

> Great! I always like it when someone listens to good arguments ;-)

Always great to read good arguments instead of name calling when someone has
a different opinion than you., lol.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:51:15 PM

> Always great to read good arguments instead of name calling when someone
> has a different opinion than you., lol.

Personally, I find sticking my thimbs in my ears, wiggling my fingers and
saying 'nerr' just as effective ;)

--
IWIK
Anonymous

IWIK <alexAN.TIlivingstoneSP@ambtinternet.com> Blessed us with
news:o pr943tp1mq4ap1w@intrepid:

> Personally, I find sticking my thimbs in my ears, wiggling my
> fingers and saying 'nerr' just as effective ;)

What are thimbs? LOL <|:-D

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 2:58:58 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:49:07 -0600, Schism <BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> sayeth:
>> One way is by your refusal to recognize an *obvious* key-bind /
>> configuration error.
>
>There is no keybind error, there never was, nor is there a configuration
>error.

Are you interested in actually letting people help you fix the problem,
or are you just trolling?

UT2004 does not have a bug in it that prevents you from getting out
of your vehicle.

Look, the problem is in your configuration *somewhere*. That is a fact
and is not under debate.

Somebody asked you to unplug any joysticks or other game controllers
under the pretense that they may be conflicting. You say you uninstalled
and reinstalled, but did you *actually* do this, or are you so convinced
that its the games fault that you just keep posting "yeah, i did that".

If you aren't interested in solving the problem, but are more interested
in just complaining to the group, please tell us so that we can politely
ignore you.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

"Chris Bradley" <furrier@iglou.com> wrote in message

..

> Look, the problem is in your configuration *somewhere*. That is a fact

actually no, that is not a fact,. In fact it is completely wrong. The key
is bound properly or he could not get IN the vehicle in the first place.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 25, 2004 3:24:11 PM

> Are you interested in actually letting people help you fix the problem,
> or are you just trolling?

I'm not trolling.

> Look, the problem is in your configuration *somewhere*. That is a fact
> and is not under debate.

From three default installations?

> Somebody asked you to unplug any joysticks or other game controllers
> under the pretense that they may be conflicting.

I did that, I had a USB2 adapter to connect PS2 and N64 controllers that I
use with my emulators, it is unplugged, no change.

> You say you uninstalled
> and reinstalled, but did you *actually* do this, or are you so convinced
> that its the games fault that you just keep posting "yeah, i did that".

I reinstalled first when I kept getting GPF errors, then I reinstalled when
I upgraded my 80GB HD to 200GB, and one other time I forget the reason for,
I believe it was because I kept getting server disconnected errors.

> If you aren't interested in solving the problem, but are more interested
> in just complaining to the group, please tell us so that we can politely
> ignore you.

I asked hoping someone would know a solution, but no one does and just seems
to want to tell me it's a configuration error, seeing the problem is so
specific I don't really see how this is something I can change by setting
blank=blank, but I have done everything suggested and nothing has helped.
June 25, 2004 3:40:05 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
>> Personally, I find sticking my thimbs in my ears, wiggling my
>> fingers and saying 'nerr' just as effective ;)

Very effectively - especially once they have invented nerr-over-IP.

> What are thimbs? LOL <|:-D

That's the combination of all your limbs, and thumbs.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 3:53:00 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:04:30 +0200, "Oliver J. Hanau" <ojh@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Dan C wrote:
>
>> I think you are just stupid.
>
>Judging from your other messages in the past few months, you basically
>think that about everybody, yes?
>
>Oliver.

Killfilter the dumbass. I did a couple months back and now my teeth
are whiter and I've lost 15 lbs.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 4:22:35 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:49:07 -0600, Schism wrote:

>> One way is by your refusal to recognize an *obvious* key-bind /
>> configuration error.

> There is no keybind error, there never was, nor is there a configuration
> error.

There *MUST* be a configuration error, or it would be working, you dimwit.
Everyone else does NOT have this problem, doesn't that tell you something?
Pull your head out of your ass, and fix the problem.

Linux Registered User #327951
June 25, 2004 5:20:55 PM

> There *MUST* be a configuration error, or it would be working, you dimwit.

Please show me the button that says "Disable Use button if flying vehicle is
not moving" and then I'll believe you.
June 25, 2004 10:46:45 PM

Folk wrote:

> Killfilter the dumbass.  I did a couple months back and now my teeth
> are whiter and I've lost 15 lbs.

9.9/10

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13

Schism enlightened us with:
> Please show me the button that says "Disable Use button if flying
> vehicle is not moving" and then I'll believe you.

Not everything that can be configured, can be done in the GUI of the
game, nor is the game the only configurable piece of software on your
computer. Dan might be a bit blunt, but he is right - if you are the
only known person on the planet that has this problem, it's likely
the reason for the problem is on your side.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 26, 2004 12:18:06 AM

> Not everything that can be configured, can be done in the GUI of the
> game, nor is the game the only configurable piece of software on your
> computer. Dan might be a bit blunt, but he is right - if you are the
> only known person on the planet that has this problem, it's likely
> the reason for the problem is on your side.

Maybe, but it's not something I actively changed that's causing the problem,
because it does this with a default installation.
June 26, 2004 12:18:07 AM

The bug happens when I'm stuck in trees, does that specifically happen to
anyone else?
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 12:18:08 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:51:51 -0600, Schism <BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> sayeth:
>The bug happens when I'm stuck in trees, does that specifically happen to
>anyone else?

Sigh. Ok, this whole thread started out saying you could not get
out of vehicles. Are you saying now that you CAN usually get
out of the vehicles, but only every now and then you get stuck?

That sure would have been a helpful tidbit of knowledge.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

> Sigh. Ok, this whole thread started out saying you could not get
> out of vehicles.

No it didn't, I said "Pressiing E doesn't work when the vehicle (mainly
raptors and flying
vehicles) isn't moving,"

I can get out of all vehicles except the raptor and most recently the
helicopter in VCTF just fine, every time.. I can't get out of the raptor
when it's landed and NOT moving at all... but if I accelerate any or go up
it allows me to get out. The same thing happens most of the time when I get
stuck, while it doesn't happen to other people, or at least, none of the
people here.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 12:58:37 AM

> What are thimbs? LOL <|:-D

They're like thimbs, just, er, more, erm, advanced. Yeah, more
advanced.Cyborg style. it's a contrqaction of iThumbs. I should shush now
else I might make myself look like a fool ;)

--
IWIK
June 26, 2004 1:04:26 AM

Schism enlightened us with:
> The bug happens when I'm stuck in trees, does that specifically
> happen to anyone else?

I've even jammed a Goliath between two palm trees, planted a Raptor
on top of trees, and more. Every single time I tried to get out of the
vehicle, I succeeded.

!