Your question
Solved

Cleaning Off A Fingerprint

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2011 5:41:36 PM

Got a new Athlon II. Installed it on the mobo at about 2 am. Apparently a mistake because this morning I noticed a fingerprint on the top of the cpu (where the thermal paste would go).

What do you think? Rubbing Alcohol and a coffee filter?

More about : cleaning fingerprint

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
January 15, 2011 6:37:27 PM

That will work, just make sure that you don't spill!
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2011 6:54:41 PM

Alchol would be fine. Pour it onto a piece of tissue paper and make sure it's not too wet. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2011 7:02:12 PM

nullqwerty said:
Got a new Athlon II. Installed it on the mobo at about 2 am. Apparently a mistake because this morning I noticed a fingerprint on the top of the cpu (where the thermal paste would go).

What do you think? Rubbing Alcohol and a coffee filter?

Isopropryl %70 at a pharmacy
coffee filter is excellent (don't want anything that will leave threads)
Coloring the heatsink and top of cpu cover with thermal paste (after cleaned with alcohol; use plastic bag
and apply thermal paste; smear it (color it) and then wipe of excess;then put paste on cpu)
take a look at this:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html...
cant be too careful...
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
January 15, 2011 8:56:48 PM

Normally I would say soak your CPU in liquid Tide for a few minutes, then toss it into the washing machine on gentle cycle, and finally drop it into the dryer set to permanent press...

But I suppose rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter will do in a pinch...
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
January 15, 2011 9:49:09 PM

If you have a bottle of 190 proof "rotgut" you can use that as well. Like the following:

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2011 10:54:05 PM

king smp said:
Isopropryl %70 at a pharmacy
coffee filter is excellent (don't want anything that will leave threads)
Coloring the heatsink and top of cpu cover with thermal paste (after cleaned with alcohol; use plastic bag
and apply thermal paste; smear it (color it) and then wipe of excess;then put paste on cpu)
take a look at this:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html...
cant be too careful...

really ? I hear that is not a good method , you get air bubbles , I just put a bit on the centre and put cooler on , so far 27-29c at idle 46-48c at 100% running WCG BOINC .
Ocz does not recommend spreading and a few other places say that as well . For older CPU like AMD XP OR doron spread method but not the newer , at least that is what I have read

AMD 1100T BE IS MY cpu for above temps
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 12:33:12 AM

jerry6 said:
really ? I hear that is not a good method , you get air bubbles , I just put a bit on the centre and put cooler on , so far 27-29c at idle 46-48c at 100% running WCG BOINC .
Ocz does not recommend spreading and a few other places say that as well . For older CPU like AMD XP OR doron spread method but not the newer , at least that is what I have read

AMD 1100T BE IS MY cpu for above temps

In the instructions pages 4 & 5
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/amd/md/amd_app_...
It is called "Tinting"
It is a process where you color the heatsink and cpu cap PRIOR to applying paste.
On newer amds you use the middle dot technique for applying
On Core2Duos it is a thin line down the middle
either way after tinting and then applying compound to cpu the heatsink
is pressured down on cpu to spread compound.
I think we had a misunderstanding. :) 
Tinting is a process to reduce break in time
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:11:52 AM

Quote:
you do realize the thermal paste ain't actually cooling the chip right?

sure try running without it , see how long before you cook the chip . You just want contact on the whole surface , no air all micro-cracks valleys filled so the 2 surfaces make contact .
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:19:48 AM

king smp said:
In the instructions pages 4 & 5
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/amd/md/amd_app_...
It is called "Tinting"
It is a process where you color the heatsink and cpu cap PRIOR to applying paste.
On newer amds you use the middle dot technique for applying
On Core2Duos it is a thin line down the middle
either way after tinting and then applying compound to cpu the heatsink
is pressured down on cpu to spread compound.
I think we had a misunderstanding. :) 
Tinting is a process to reduce break in time

Right , never heard of that , guess it depends on the "paste" you use . Would not work with OCZ as it is a bit thicker than AS . Have not used AS in a few years , found OCZ easier to apply /take off and get great results , like the 1100t running 27-29c at idle 46-48c at 100% and my laptop with x-9000 running 30c at idle 50-55c at 100% running WCG BOINC .
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:28:29 AM

i heard great things about the OCZ
In my area it is easy to pick up Arctic Silver 5 and Antec Formula 5 so those
two are what I use.
I just used AF5 and am happy with results.
In a 72f room at idle my OC'd C2D is at 33c and at load is 50c
and this is still during break in period.
It is really more a matter of personal preference and availability.
It is kind of like cars.
every car guy got their brand of oil LOL
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:37:43 AM

king smp said:
i heard great things about the OCZ
In my area it is easy to pick up Arctic Silver 5 and Antec Formula 5 so those
two are what I use.
I just used AF5 and am happy with results.
In a 72f room at idle my OC'd C2D is at 33c and at load is 50c
and this is still during break in period.
It is really more a matter of personal preference and availability.
It is kind of like cars.
every car guy got their brand of oil LOL

They are all good if applied properly ,I just found that OCZ was priced right , AS was double and I was in a cheap phase . It worked so I stuck with it .Anything is better that what is supplied by the factory . You would not believe the amount of goop they put on my laptop cpu !! Enough to spread on a piece of toast !
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:50:16 AM

^LOL
The concept behind the tinting method is similar in a way to lapping the heatsink.
You are trying to reduce the number of pits and valleys in the contact area to the cpu.
By tinting first it fills in the microscopic little holes in the contact area and then when the paste is applied it creates greater surface area contact.
Of course coming from a car tuner background I can tell you there are alot of upgrades/mods/techniques that are really done just to give that warm fuzzy glow
that you made your computer better,faster,stronger...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:58:44 AM

....when in reality it is a %1 difference in a benchmark :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 3:07:35 AM

Car tuning , yeah did that 40 years ago , still have a 340 Dart swinger that I'm giving my son .
you know that 1% is going to cost , at least computing is relatively cheap compared to cars .
so now I argue about CPU paste instead of motor oils .
Those are pretty good temps , those intels run hot at stock speeds , I'm always with the underdogs , Dodge and AMD !
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 3:15:10 AM

Yep with a nine year old daughter souping up 1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro Z28 LT1 350 is probably never going to happen.
Though I convinced Mom that a 6 cylinder Mustang is a good first car LOL
By the time she is driving age I can get one of the 275 hp sixes and have some fun.
I do have a weak spot for late sixties Chargers/Challengers myself.
Tuning is Tuning whether it is a car or computer.
It is about accomplishment, hard work, obsession, bragging rights and it is fun too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 3:20:05 AM

jerry6 said:
Car tuning , yeah did that 40 years ago , still have a 340 Dart swinger that I'm giving my son .
you know that 1% is going to cost , at least computing is relatively cheap compared to cars .
so now I argue about CPU paste instead of motor oils .
Those are pretty good temps , those intels run hot at stock speeds , I'm always with the underdogs , Dodge and AMD !

Talk about hot I have a 2 x Xeon P4 based Prestonia 3.2 rig and a just swapped out a Pentium D 3.4 with the Core2 Duo.
The office couch was a nice play to sleep during the winter :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 3:30:43 AM

jerry6 said:
sure try running without it , see how long before you cook the chip . You just want contact on the whole surface , no air all micro-cracks valleys filled so the 2 surfaces make contact .

+1
m
l
January 16, 2011 8:56:19 AM

whats wrong with spit and a rag
m
l
January 16, 2011 11:52:25 AM

jerry6 said:
You would not believe the amount of goop they put on my laptop cpu !! Enough to spread on a piece of toast !

I would!

In spite of all that, the temp shot up to 93° C when I started transcoding a DVD (before I aborted the process.) I cleaned that up and repasted with a small drop of AS and temps now rise slowly to 80° C when transcoding.

As for souping up cars... I ws very happy to have my sons souping up PCs. Crashes were much less painful!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:01:55 PM

80C? That's still awfully hot. My Macbook only gets warm enough to toast your lap, not boild water :p .
m
l
January 16, 2011 2:26:18 PM

amdfangirl said:
80C? That's still awfully hot. My Macbook only gets warm enough to toast your lap, not boild water :p .
I can warm my lunch. ;)  My T500 only goes to 73° C when transcoding, but I think it is 45nm vs 65nm tech. It would not surprise me if the Mac had better cooling.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:46:44 PM

Try undervolting , my x-9000 and t-7200 run max 60-63c running 100% with WCG boinc , undervolting and OCZ freeze dropped my temps 10-15c from stock , used to run at 70- 80c . X9000 is running at 3.4 Ghz . Took a while to get it set and run stable , but worth it .
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:52:32 PM

HankB99 said:
I would!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eA3Q82q5fz4/TSN-BNo2X-I/AAAAAAAAHQ8/ulmqgPVMvxc/s800/DSC_3434-PP.JPG

In spite of all that, the temp shot up to 93° C when I started transcoding a DVD (before I aborted the process.) I cleaned that up and repasted with a small drop of AS and temps now rise slowly to 80° C when transcoding.

As for souping up cars... I ws very happy to have my sons souping up PCs. Crashes were much less painful!

That is what I saw from the factory , unreal ! Is it any surprise so many laptops die in 1-2 years ? Between dust buildup and paste application like in your picture it's amazing they last that long . Heat kills , I know a cleaning every 2-3 months drops my temps at least 5c .
My sister nevercleans her laptop , always has problems , unexplained shut downs , I ran HWM on it , temps were crazy 90c+, asked if she ever cleaned out the dust . Never , cleaned it and no more shutdowns , temps back in normal range
m
l
January 18, 2011 11:34:16 AM

Went with the highest rubbing alcohol they had which was 91%, and the coffee filter. Worked great...better than expected.

Thanks
m
l
January 18, 2011 11:35:27 AM

Best answer selected by nullqwerty.
m
l
!