abido

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello
im planing to buy this MoBo "Asus P8H61 EVO "

and i have 4*4GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAMs

but when I read this one the website I wanted to be sure before I buy it
Asus P8H61

* Due to Intel H61 regulation, when install four DIMMs to form a dual-channel operation, only DIMMs of single-sided are supported.
* If four DDR3 1333 MHz memory modules are installed, the maximum memory speed will be limited to 1066 MHz.

so.. wtf o,o

can anyone explain more ? o,o
thanks

Solution
due to chipset bandwidth limitations if you use 4 chips that are rated for 1333 MHz it won't be able to run them at full speed, and will slow them down to 1066MHz.

Due to same limitations, it can't handle 4 double sided dimms for dual channel operation, but can still handle 2 double sided dimms.

I would go ahead and put just 2 * 4 GB in and run it dual channel, you won't get any performance increase out of 16GB over 8GB unless you are running multiple VM's or extremely memory intensive programs. running 2 *4GB in dual channel will cause your RAM to run at the rated speed, and dual channel will give you more performance than 16GB at 1066MHz single channel
due to chipset bandwidth limitations if you use 4 chips that are rated for 1333 MHz it won't be able to run them at full speed, and will slow them down to 1066MHz.

Due to same limitations, it can't handle 4 double sided dimms for dual channel operation, but can still handle 2 double sided dimms.

I would go ahead and put just 2 * 4 GB in and run it dual channel, you won't get any performance increase out of 16GB over 8GB unless you are running multiple VM's or extremely memory intensive programs. running 2 *4GB in dual channel will cause your RAM to run at the rated speed, and dual channel will give you more performance than 16GB at 1066MHz single channel

Solution

pkhannah

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Kind of not answering your question, but I'd recommend against the ASUS board -- I've had nothing but problems with recent ASUS gear (and other I've spoken to seem to agree.)

Have you looked around at other brands?