bgrasty

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
So my current PC is starting to wane, with the years I've put on it (I think I built it in 2007), and I'm thinking about upgrading (or probably just starting from scratch really). Just wanted to see if I could get some tips and advice to optimize my cash. Right now I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Yorkfield 2.93, EVGA 750ftw sli Mainboard w/ 1066 fsb, EVGA 9800GTX, 4Gb OCZ 1066 DDR2 Ram.
I'm thinking about going with Intel i7 (nothing smoking, maybe the 920, but I might want to spend a little less than $250 on my proc), looking for a decent MBoard but don't need all the bells and whistles (can anyone tell me if I'd be gimping myself going with a LGA1156, rather than LGA1366?), probably gonna need 6Gb Ram, and last but not least the video card. I guess ATI and NVIDEA are set to release their new cards soon, so I assume that will drive the cost of current cards down. I'm looking to spend around $200-220 here but might be convinced to spend a little more for good reason. Well, if anyone would like to share I'm all ears. Thanks
Joe

Solution
You should have filled out the following:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

AMD and Intel are releasing new CPUs very wise scholar, these look like they are going to be good. If you wait for them you will get much more and won't have to upgrade your system in 2 years like you would if getting the current CPUs.

Your system is pretty nice. What would most likely be the best idea is to but the graphics cards you's want for your new system and put them in your old one until you upgrade the whole thing. This will give you a ton more performance right now and you will also beable to upgrade to the new CPUs.

The new 6000 series comes out tomorrow so you should wait until after that to buy your graphics cards. Maybe 2 460s...

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You should have filled out the following:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

AMD and Intel are releasing new CPUs very wise scholar, these look like they are going to be good. If you wait for them you will get much more and won't have to upgrade your system in 2 years like you would if getting the current CPUs.

Your system is pretty nice. What would most likely be the best idea is to but the graphics cards you's want for your new system and put them in your old one until you upgrade the whole thing. This will give you a ton more performance right now and you will also beable to upgrade to the new CPUs.

The new 6000 series comes out tomorrow so you should wait until after that to buy your graphics cards. Maybe 2 460s would be good, I heard a single 460 has similar performance to SLIed 9800GTX so you'll see a large increase in performance.

In what way do you think its slow? Maybe you just need an OS reinstall if your talking about general windows performance.

Hope that helps.

Solution

bgrasty

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry about that. While I probably would benefit from an OS reinstall, the main think I'm looking for is increased gaming performance. I think I'll take your advice, and just get a new graphics card for right now... see how it goes from there. Thanks for the help.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You should have noted that your looking for more gaming performance. Get the new graphics cards and maybe an after market cooler (if you don't have one) and OC the CPU. You'll be good to go for atleast a year.

Glad I could help, good luck!