Solved

Programs/Test to optimize my machine

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2010 3:11:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

So this is my first post here on "Tom's hardware" and I just want to see what this community is like and what kind of help I can get on my system.

My Machine is about 1 year old, running:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
Heat Sink: V8
Ram: 12.0 GB (3.99 GB usable) Patriot Extreme Viper PVT36G1600LLK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - never been like this before, anyone have a fix for this?
PSU: Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate running @ 64-bit
Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 [Display adapter] (3x), all same clock speeds and manufacturer
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI Classified (Bus Clock: 133 megahertz)
HDD: 3x OCZ Vertex 30GB & 1x WD Raptor 150G 10k rpm (for storage)
Case: HAF Coolermaster

So my questions right now are:

1. How to fix the ram issue of (3.99GB) when I really have 12GB available?

2. Running 3x SSD (OCZ Vertex 30G) in raid 0, how would I test the read speeds/write speeds? - any available software or test?

3. In my triple SLI setup, I experience some visual problems in games like resident evil 5 and blur when running in SLI, but when I setup my profile to just run at single GPU for that specific title, it works fine. What can I do so I can run these games with SLI on, without experiencing the "flickering problem/visual problem"?

4. Any software out there that's free where I can hide my IP address?

5. Setting up my global settings in the Nvidia Control Panel for optimal quality over performance, using the manage 3D settings. What I don't get is some of the Feature, what some of them actually do. eg. Ambient Occlusion, Maximum pre-rendered frames, etc.

That's about it for now. Later on I plan to do some Overclocking to my cpu and such but at the moment I'm happy with my speeds. :kaola: 

More about : programs test optimize machine

Best solution

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2010 9:03:19 AM

Hi, welcome Slin!

1. It sounds as if you might have a bad stick of RAM, and only one stick is working.
try swapping around sticks and see if you come up with different numbers, or try one at a time. Where are you seeing 3.99, and where do you see 12GB? If you really had a 32-bit version of Win 7 running, then you would likely see less than that... so I don't think that's the issue.

2. Here is a big list of all sorts of troubleshooting tools and benchmark links:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

3. Not all titles will like triple SLI. Are you running the latest drivers?

4. You can't hide your IP address with software. There are sites that can act as portals and mask your IP, but if you are trying to get around a ban you are probably out of luck.

5. Best asked separately in the graphics section.
October 22, 2010 11:59:20 PM

Proximon said:
Hi, welcome Slin!

1. It sounds as if you might have a bad stick of RAM, and only one stick is working.
try swapping around sticks and see if you come up with different numbers, or try one at a time. Where are you seeing 3.99, and where do you see 12GB? If you really had a 32-bit version of Win 7 running, then you would likely see less than that... so I don't think that's the issue.

2. Here is a big list of all sorts of troubleshooting tools and benchmark links:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

3. Not all titles will like triple SLI. Are you running the latest drivers?

4. You can't hide your IP address with software. There are sites that can act as portals and mask your IP, but if you are trying to get around a ban you are probably out of luck.

5. Best asked separately in the graphics section.

Hi Proximon!

Thanks for the great tips and information.

1. I've just did a mem test with the windows utilities and did the extended test, and nothing came up as bad. I'll be pulling out ram and testing each one tonight though.

2. Thanks for the list for testing out my hardware and such!

3. I have the lastest drivers, but now I know all games don't always like to run in SLI :p 

4. Hehe about the ip hiding thing, it's more of a personal reason/security. ;) 

5. I'll post in the graphic section in regards to my question here =) Thanks a bunch! ^^

You rock Proximon =)
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2010 1:44:18 PM

Did memtest with windows disk, (extended) and nothing was bad. But I was fiddling around with the msconfig>boot>advance boot options>maximum memory thing and now I have BSOD.... 0x00000074 something about a bad_config....
I swear to god it auto set to 0 maximum memory and when I click the box to save permnamently.... fail. So now I'm trying to figure out how to fix this damn mistake.

GG
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2010 5:23:27 PM

Windows repair from the disk probably.
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:49:31 AM

Best answer selected by slin.
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:50:51 AM

Proximon said:
Windows repair from the disk probably.

Yeah that didn't work either. I've actually open a new thread and everyone's methods and suggestions have not work. My first try was your suggestion and it was a fail =( So now I've reinstalled windows and starting from scratch. :( 
m
l