W7 on ebay

If someone registered the licence key already, it will not work for u.

Edit: I did not see the 3 pack licence....

The windows 7 family pack is a great deal. $135 is a typical price, and can be found on amazon also:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Family/dp/B002MV2MG0

You get an activation code that is good for three pc's, along with a 32 and a 64 bit dvd.

The instructions have two variants.

If you want to upgrade in place, it can only be done from vista, and only to the same 32 or 64 bit variant.

Otherwise a clean install is needed. There is no problem there, and they are ok even if no windows is currently installed on the pc.

As to the e-bay vendor, I think it is legit, but you may be more comfortable ordering through amazon.

Not true. The Family Pack contains both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. It will upgrade either XP or Vista.

The difference is that it can upgrade Vista in place. If it detects XP, it does a clean install. That means with XP, you need to either back everything up or install it in a new partition.

they aren't really restrictions... vista is basically a prerelease of windows 7 LOL. XP is just to different. also on the family pack I never had to have XP installed or even insert the disk. I have always been able to just do a clean install without issue. I do have like 5 copies of vista or XP laying around so meh... the only thing that's different between upgrade and full is the license agreement as far as I know.

caqde

Distinguished
@unksol
There is no license difference between an upgrade and a Retail if you are upgrading from a Retail version the upgrade license only adds terms to your old license. OEM -> Upgrade OEM, Retail -> Upgrade Retail.

@ram1009 the 3pack is just that a 3pack there isn't any major differences between that and a single Upgrade. The ONLY difference is that the 3pack is that the license terms for the 3pack designate that the users of the licenses reside in the same residence/household. So technically you can't sell of the other 2 licenses to someone that lives outside your home.