Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cleaning dust in graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2010 2:33:33 PM

hi,i have a pc for gaming with a ATI RADEON XFX 4770 graphics card,i think it might be collecting too much dust and was wondering if there is a safe way to clean out dust without damaging it,thanks in advance
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 3, 2010 3:24:01 PM

take it out of the case and use a can of compressed air. you may want to do it outside or in the garage since dust will go flying everywhere.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 3:28:39 PM

i prefer air compressor myself if you have one great just go low on the psi i usually run 100-150 and don't get very close motherboard or cars, i clean the case and everythign liek this once a month and my system has been running great for 3 and a half years :D 
Score
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 3, 2010 3:42:59 PM

Personally, I just use a can of compressed air and maybe a toothbrush for the fan blades to loosen any accumulated dust. One thing though, do NOT allow the fan to spin freely or you may burn out the bearings. Just hold the fan in place while spraying air on to the blades.

-Wolf sends
Score

Best solution

September 3, 2010 3:58:45 PM

g00fysmiley said:
i prefer air compressor myself if you have one great just go low on the psi i usually run 100-150 and don't get very close motherboard or cars, i clean the case and everythign liek this once a month and my system has been running great for 3 and a half years :D 

You are playing with fire doing it like that g00f. Unless you have a dehydrator inline with your aircompressor, you are introducing moisture to your GPU. If the smallest amount of moisture stays on your card when you plug it in, poof you just lost your card.

I would rather play it safe and use canned air. If that isnt enough air pressure put the can in a bucket of HOT water for a few mins, that will give the can a good bit more PSI.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 4:26:44 PM

good point i didn't mention but yea while i don't have a dehydrator on the line i do purge the tank and fill inside in the air conditioned house for lower humidity in the air before blowing it off outside also i'm the type to pull fans/heatsinks and replace greace twice a year
Score
September 3, 2010 11:49:07 PM

hey thanks everyone for all your advice,this forun is always very helpful,thanks
Score
September 3, 2010 11:50:02 PM

Best answer selected by mrclownface.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2010 9:02:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!