zzzmg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hey guys... i have build a core 2 duo system... good playing games but sometimes stuttered, low fps...

the systems

Intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93ghz
Gigabyte g31L s2l
4gb Kingston hyperx 800mhz ddr2
Gigabyte 250 gts 512mb 128bit
standard unbranded 240 powersupply
Windows 7 64bit

i can play all new games such as darksiders, MOH2010, pes 2011 and more.. but sometimes it jagged. so i need some advise on which hardware should i change.... except for the core ofcource

P/S : if a core i5 at your place about $150-250, at my region its 600-800!!!

so im gladly need your guys advise

Solution
Again, you're making this way more complicated then it needs to be. Why would they make the 5750 on the PCIe bus if it cant' go into computers running DDR2 or 3? Do your socks need to have laces if your shoes do to? The card plugs into the slot, so it has to work. It doesn't matter if it has DDR5 while your computer has DDR2. (and sush up you guys who can name the one or two times "if it fits the slot it will work" it DOESN'T work.)

I don't mind answering questions, but your making this much harder then it needs to be. Not to mention you've asked so many I don't remember what you need to know anymore. I think I'm out for awhile. If you want to game better, get a better GPU. This will most likely require you to get a new PSU...

zzzmg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
i need to change the gpu too?? uhhh.... but for the psu, i vote it.... think i will get a cooling master 550watt.... but will it enough for the system? my graphic card eats untill 450watt... hum2...

anymore suggestion guys?

4745454b

Titan
Your graphics card does not use 450W. A SYSTEM with a GTS250 might use 450W, but not the graphics card itself. (I would think 300W or less under load, but not sure.) A real GTS250 would have 1GB, and a 256bit interface with the memory. They either sold you something else, or you have some weird low end model. I would change it out if you want good frame rates.

4745454b

Titan
Then get the best that you can afford. Just understand that if you can't afford anything good, then you wont' be able to max out games or play them at max settings. I have a 5750. Good for the 1680x1050 resolution and games I play, but horrible for 1920x1080 and games like Metro 2033. I like to play valve games however, and what I have is good enough.

zzzmg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
hwah!! a directx 11 user!!!...LoL

i understand my limit as a student.. so i do not wish to get max of the games...
its like a garage sales i suppose. a cheap item but with a good quality.

ahh...theres somthing i want to ask you... my cpu temperature averagely 70-75c does i need new heatsink? because i`m playing games with my stock fan :D

sorry for all the question...its important to me to learn something from this thread :)

zzzmg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
slowly upgrading my dumb pc :)
475454b, can you post your spec :D it would be nice hehe

actually, i want to upgrade my gpu but, when i make some research i found out that i need to change all of the system.. makes me wanna cry.. so the hell with it, and now im try to get best of my current hardware..

4745454b, feed me. Can a ATI card works properly with intel processors? a myth that playing with my mind :D

4745454b

Titan
My specs? What would my specs have to do with your problems? My computer is good enough for what I do, though I need a faster CPU. 1Hr to convert a 3hr long 1.4GB .avi to DVD is starting to be a bit on the longer side.

Why would you need to change the system? The GTS250 card you have plugs into a PCIe slot right? Remove that one and put in a faster card. If your PSU can handle the GTS250 then you should be good for most cards.

zzzmg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
i know youre specs doenst have anything to do with my problem... just wanna know

yeah, its pcie, but nowadays card already evolve to gddr5... for me, when im building a system, it supposed to hold about 2-3 years than i will upgrade it to new part.

example my first system, intel core 2 duo e7400 2.4ghz, geforce 8600gt, unbranded 2gb ram 667, intel 31 mobo.. my old spec can play until gta4 and at its limit.

for now, i can play all games but lacks of gaming experience. one more thing, i wants to upgrade my gpu to 300 series, but i cant find it anywhere in my country.. my country simply jumps to 400 series..

so thats why im asking you about the intel and ati..does it good when coupling it together? because i thought that intel only for nvidia, amd only for ati....

4745454b

Titan
Not that it matter, but I run a stock E6600 on an X38 motherboard. This is cooled by a Hyper 212+. 4GBs of DDR2-800 (Gskill) and the 5750. I'm up to 1.5TBs of drive space spread between three Seagate 7200.10 drives, all powered by a Delta sourced Antec EA500. Toss in an off brand HP 20" monitor at 1680x1050. Fast enough for browsing/downloading and the sole game that I play, TF2.

yeah, its pcie, but nowadays card already evolve to gddr5
Again, the problem with your card is the limited memory bandwidth. 128 bits is not what a GTS250 should have. Even the 9800GT should sit on a 256bit bus. You put DDR3 on a 128 bit bus and you'll starve your card. It will spend to much time waiting for info from ram. This means slow performance. I'd be willing to bet that a 9800GT would be faster then your card.

example my first system, intel core 2 duo e7400 2.4ghz, geforce 8600gt, unbranded 2gb ram 667, intel 31 mobo.. my old spec can play until gta4 and at its limit.

I doubt that, at least at normal resolutions. A dual core and an 8600GT won't play GTA4 that well. Maybe at 800x600, but not at 1680x1050. And certainly not "at its limit"

for now, i can play all games but lacks of gaming experience. one more thing, i wants to upgrade my gpu to 300 series, but i cant find it anywhere in my country.. my country simply jumps to 400 series..

First, why do you want the 3 series over the 4? What makes the 3 so much better? For the record the 3 series is only for OEMs, Dell, HP and the like. Its not much better then the 2 series. If you can afford the 4 series then get them, otherwise get a nice AMD card. The 5750 and 5770 would be faster then what you have now. And over here they are not that expensive.

so thats why im asking you about the intel and ati..does it good when coupling it together? because i thought that intel only for nvidia, amd only for ati....

I wish I knew why people think if you have X part you need to have Y video card. If you buy nike shoes what socks do you need to wear? If you buy a Toyota car what tires does it need to have? Everything plugs into slots on the motherboard, why do people thing X brand needs to have Y part with it? It goes into the slot, don't worry about it. Mix and match AMD, Intel and Nvidia to your hearts content. Some things perform worse compared to their counter parts. But if you have an Intel board you can put any GPU in the slot, AMD, Nvidia, or even S3 if they make a PCIe card.

zzzmg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
woot2.... thanks for the explanation... toyota and continental LoL

what i meant at its limit is i can feel that the card wont be good enough for future game :D

im want to try 3 series.....4 series way too power for me to handle :D

glad youre answer my question

5750 is about RM 600 equals to usd 193.77 and its ddr5....can this card be put in my gigabyte g31l-s2l??

once again, im sorry for asking many question :D

4745454b

Titan
Again, you're making this way more complicated then it needs to be. Why would they make the 5750 on the PCIe bus if it cant' go into computers running DDR2 or 3? Do your socks need to have laces if your shoes do to? The card plugs into the slot, so it has to work. It doesn't matter if it has DDR5 while your computer has DDR2. (and sush up you guys who can name the one or two times "if it fits the slot it will work" it DOESN'T work.)

I don't mind answering questions, but your making this much harder then it needs to be. Not to mention you've asked so many I don't remember what you need to know anymore. I think I'm out for awhile. If you want to game better, get a better GPU. This will most likely require you to get a new PSU as well.

Solution