Sign in with
Your question

Random CPU freezes

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2010 7:15:29 AM

My Build:
AMD Athlon x2 (I cannot recall the exact model off the top of my head. It's about 5 years old. I wanna say 6600?)
ASUS M2N-E mobo
G-Skill 4GB (4x1GB) F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Antec Basiq 500W PSU (changed from a Thermaltake TR2 RX-450)

I have read through as many similar problems as I could find and none seem to be exactly what I have. My problem started out like most with random freezes in windows. I would come sit down on the computer and it would just be a frozen desktop. No mouse movement and not able to bring up task manager or anything. The general consensus on most similar posts was the PSU. I bought the Antec PSU brand new today and put it in with the same results. Next steps I took were to swap out the RAM sticks to see if one was bad. If I take out a pair I get the same results. I swap out the other pair and same results. So I tried one stick at a time and I can't even get to the BIOS boot screen. I took out all sticks to see what beep code I would get. It starts with the long beeps and it seems to freeze in the middle of beeping and just hangs with a neverending beep. I also reset my CMOS and my comp freezes at the BIOS load screen telling me the CMOS was reset and defaults were loaded but I can't get it to continue. This is where I am stuck.
Is it my MOBO or might it be the sticks? I would hate to buy one and it be the other ya know? From what I can tell this site is by far the most helpful so I have high hopes for everyone on here :na: 

More about : random cpu freezes

October 22, 2010 7:18:38 AM

Forgot to mention that I cannot run a memory test as I cannot even get passed the BIOS screen anymore. On the rare chance I do it locks up as soon as the windows desktop is done loading.
m
l
October 22, 2010 7:51:26 AM

Well now I feel kind of silly having spend the time to type all of that and I seem to have fixed the problem, though maybe only temporarily. I finally got the BIOS to boot and I went in to check the voltage for my RAM because I read that as a problem in a thread or two. I cannot for the life of me find what it is set at nor can I find how to change it. I did however change the RAM settings from AUTO to their listed values on G-Skills site. Next boot Windows ran a repair then rebooted and so far so good. I even put the old power supply back in and still all good at the moment. Hopefully i can return this ANTEC to the store.
m
l
!