Solved

What should i add, HDD or SSD

Hello all :hello:
I want to upgrade my pc storage. Now i'm using 500GB Seagate HDD and became very very full now, i just had 40 GB free space :( . But, i'm a programmer too, i often use Eclipse and Visual Studio to write an app and my HDD gave me hard time with both of those software :(. Start time for those software feels like 1-2 minutes. Beside that i must compile and save everytime while coding and everytime i compile or saving it took very long time, like 5-7 seconds. I'm very very sure what made eclipse and visual studio very unresponsive are my HDD because the rest of my spec is just fine. Now i'm stuck with two option, if i choose SSD (max capacity i can afford with my budget is 120GB) my file already full and i can't buy another drive in near time.. If i choose HDD of course i must deal with the low performance. Can you give me your opinion? Or did someone ever face similar situation like this and took better option? Thanks in advance :)

My spec
cpu : i5 3470
memory : gskill ddr3 1600 8GB cl 9
motherboard : asrock z77 pro3
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what
  1. I would go with an HDD in your case.

Waiting for programs to load is an inconvenience.

Running out of storage space is a problem.
  2. i agree. just get the fastest HDD you can afford. perhaps you can get one significantly faster than the one you have that also has enough space to last you a long time. keep in mind though that you should backup. if a drive dies it would suck to set you back weeks on your work.
  3. If you want raw speed and less space go for the SSD.

But if you want to store alot of data a HDD is the better option.
  4. Z1NONLY said:
    I would go with an HDD in your case.

Waiting for programs to load is an inconvenience.

Running out of storage space is a problem.

oh nice point there :). Is there are difference between 7200rpm and 10000rpm hdd in read and write speed? maybe add 10000rpm hdd can be a better option.. or not?
  5. farrengottu said:
    i agree. just get the fastest HDD you can afford. perhaps you can get one significantly faster than the one you have that also has enough space to last you a long time. keep in mind though that you should backup. if a drive dies it would suck to set you back weeks on your work.

i already use 7200rpm hdd. Maybe add 10000rpm hdd is better..?
    And for backup, yeah, i always backup, in a same drive :lol:. Sorry, kidding. I store most of my important work on cloud, my drive filled up with many unimportant but "don't want to delete them because i feel that i want to rewatch or replay them" files. Hmm..
  6. warhead0 said:
    If you want raw speed and less space go for the SSD.

But if you want to store alot of data a HDD is the better option.

you just repeat what i'm asking :??: ...
  7. ive seen 30% performance differences between 7200 rpm drives in reviews. im just saying check the reviews. and buy one of the faster ones. i personally like the Western Digital black drives.
  8. farrengottu said:
    ive seen 30% performance differences between 7200 rpm drives in reviews. im just saying check the reviews. and buy one of the faster ones. i personally like the Western Digital black drives.

Check Velociraptor price in local store site, oh man, it just dont deserve the price. Need to pay $180 for only 300GB drive with read and write speed not even half of SSD speed..
  9. Best answer
    ashharun said:
    oh nice point there :). Is there are difference between 7200rpm and 10000rpm hdd in read and write speed? maybe add 10000rpm hdd can be a better option.. or not?

There is a difference, but there's also difference in price. I would just get a good 7200rpm now and save for decent sized SSD down the road.
  10. Z1NONLY said:
    There is a difference, but there's also difference in price. I would just get a good 7200rpm now and save for decent sized SSD down the road.

sounds like the best choice :)
  11. Best answer selected by ashharun.
Ask a new question

Read More

Visual Studio Hard Drives Storage