Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What should i add, HDD or SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2013 10:13:12 AM

Hello all :hello: 
I want to upgrade my pc storage. Now i'm using 500GB Seagate HDD and became very very full now, i just had 40 GB free space :(  . But, i'm a programmer too, i often use Eclipse and Visual Studio to write an app and my HDD gave me hard time with both of those software :( . Start time for those software feels like 1-2 minutes. Beside that i must compile and save everytime while coding and everytime i compile or saving it took very long time, like 5-7 seconds. I'm very very sure what made eclipse and visual studio very unresponsive are my HDD because the rest of my spec is just fine. Now i'm stuck with two option, if i choose SSD (max capacity i can afford with my budget is 120GB) my file already full and i can't buy another drive in near time.. If i choose HDD of course i must deal with the low performance. Can you give me your opinion? Or did someone ever face similar situation like this and took better option? Thanks in advance :) 

My spec
cpu : i5 3470
memory : gskill ddr3 1600 8GB cl 9
motherboard : asrock z77 pro3

More about : add hdd ssd

January 30, 2013 10:25:25 AM

I would go with an HDD in your case.

Waiting for programs to load is an inconvenience.

Running out of storage space is a problem.
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:28:48 AM

i agree. just get the fastest HDD you can afford. perhaps you can get one significantly faster than the one you have that also has enough space to last you a long time. keep in mind though that you should backup. if a drive dies it would suck to set you back weeks on your work.
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 10:29:19 AM

If you want raw speed and less space go for the SSD.

But if you want to store alot of data a HDD is the better option.
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:31:46 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I would go with an HDD in your case.

Waiting for programs to load is an inconvenience.

Running out of storage space is a problem.

oh nice point there :) . Is there are difference between 7200rpm and 10000rpm hdd in read and write speed? maybe add 10000rpm hdd can be a better option.. or not?
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:38:54 AM

farrengottu said:
i agree. just get the fastest HDD you can afford. perhaps you can get one significantly faster than the one you have that also has enough space to last you a long time. keep in mind though that you should backup. if a drive dies it would suck to set you back weeks on your work.

i already use 7200rpm hdd. Maybe add 10000rpm hdd is better..?
And for backup, yeah, i always backup, in a same drive :lol: . Sorry, kidding. I store most of my important work on cloud, my drive filled up with many unimportant but "don't want to delete them because i feel that i want to rewatch or replay them" files. Hmm..
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:45:22 AM

warhead0 said:
If you want raw speed and less space go for the SSD.

But if you want to store alot of data a HDD is the better option.

you just repeat what i'm asking :??:  ...
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:46:12 AM

ive seen 30% performance differences between 7200 rpm drives in reviews. im just saying check the reviews. and buy one of the faster ones. i personally like the Western Digital black drives.
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:59:03 AM

farrengottu said:
ive seen 30% performance differences between 7200 rpm drives in reviews. im just saying check the reviews. and buy one of the faster ones. i personally like the Western Digital black drives.

Check Velociraptor price in local store site, oh man, it just dont deserve the price. Need to pay $180 for only 300GB drive with read and write speed not even half of SSD speed..
m
l

Best solution

January 30, 2013 12:38:30 PM

ashharun said:
oh nice point there :) . Is there are difference between 7200rpm and 10000rpm hdd in read and write speed? maybe add 10000rpm hdd can be a better option.. or not?

There is a difference, but there's also difference in price. I would just get a good 7200rpm now and save for decent sized SSD down the road.
January 30, 2013 1:11:01 PM

Z1NONLY said:
There is a difference, but there's also difference in price. I would just get a good 7200rpm now and save for decent sized SSD down the road.

sounds like the best choice :) 
m
l
January 30, 2013 1:12:22 PM

Best answer selected by ashharun.
m
l
!