Your question
Closed

Radeon 5970 my power supply only has 6 pin connectors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 3:38:07 PM

My 1000 watt power supply that came with my $5000 Alienware machine only has 6 pin connectors. Since Radeon's car requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin - only God knows why - I can't use it. Are there any adapters out there to help with this or do I actually have to replace my 1000 watt power supply for this? Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 5:08:20 PM

Hello. Thank you. Do you have confirmation it works with the 5970? I have an XFX one and it says it's not compatible with "two 6-pin to one 8-pin adapters" - however, the link you sent is one 6-pin to one 8-pin so maybe that will work. Bah in looking at the instructions again, "The card is only designed to work with high performance power supplies using 8-pin PCI express power cables" Damn. Any ideas?

I bought my power supply in 2008 with my computer. It has four 6-pins. It should be able to handle this...
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 5:18:18 PM

alittle reseach indicates a one 6pin to one 8 pin should work, but worse comes to worse if it doenst work just return it and uyyou're only out shipping vs the cost of a whole new power supply
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 5:27:23 PM

Ok. Thank you :o )
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2010 3:03:17 AM

Yeah that was basically a waste of money. I bought the connector and when I load a game such as MW2, within seconds my computer shuts itself down. >.< I guess I'll have to get a new power supply. FU to whatever stupid ass companies deviated from the standard connectors.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2010 3:16:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!