Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2 pc's, 1 wireless mouse, 1 wireless keyboard,1 monitor.

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2011 12:58:52 AM

I want to run two computers and only use one wireless keyboard ,mouse and monitor. I can see the monitor working ok with a kvm switch but how about the wireless mouse and Keyboard. If any one has a idea and maybe a hint to the switch I might use I would appreciate it. I have a weather station wired into the second PC ( Zotac Mag) I wanted a small low power pc to run the weather station because it will be on all the time. Thanks

Best solution

January 16, 2011 1:05:06 AM

You already answered your own question, a KVM Switch. They have connections for keyboard/mouse/monitor on them.
January 16, 2011 3:41:47 AM

If I'm using wireless on one pc now where would the wireless device plug into. If I plug the wireless keyboard and mouse into the kvm switch how does the signal get back to the PC?
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
January 17, 2011 8:13:51 PM

Can you use one wireless keyboard / mouse and physically swap the usb receiver between the two computers?
Score
January 17, 2011 8:31:35 PM

I guess I could have two of the same keyboard and mouse that use the same receiver and just put the second receiver in the other pc so I could use the same keyboard. Thanks
Score
Anonymous
January 18, 2011 4:10:28 PM

But if you have 2 receivers you won't be able to choose which click etc is for which computer, both will react.

Actually my 'suggestion' was more of a question really.

Has anyone tried it?

I've done it with a keyboard cable with no problems, but are there any problems hot swapping a wireless receiver?

What about delays etc?
Score
January 22, 2011 11:30:33 PM

I see what you mean. I guess the best way would be to have two different wireless mouse and have one wired ( USB) keyboard.
That is how I will approach it. One PC is there just for independent Virus scans and the other is there for a weather station running full time. There won't be allot of action on the weather station except for reading logs.
Score
January 30, 2011 12:55:09 AM

This is a update. I have a KVM switch and I'm now using one monitor, one wireless mouse and one wireless keyboard for two computers and it works great.
Score
February 10, 2011 6:54:57 PM

Which KVM Switch are you using?
Score
February 12, 2011 1:59:32 AM

Trendnet TK-209 It came with VGA cables and audio, NewEgg had it on sale for 14.00 free shipping.
Score
February 22, 2011 2:57:26 AM

Best answer selected by BruceMyers48.
Score
September 23, 2011 10:32:07 PM

Beware of the newer Logitech keyboards... they've omitted the 'scroll lock' key from their keyboards (which is used by some KVM's) to switch control between computers.

Their included software also doesn't support mapping another key to remedy the issue.

Score
a b C Monitor
September 24, 2011 10:54:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!