Closed Solved

C$600 Substancial Rebuild

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: C$600 after HST (13% and not included in sticker price) and any rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Encoding / Conversion, Photoshop, General Use

Parts Not Required:
I already have the following:
> EVGA GTS 250 1 GB
> Muskin 4 GB DRR2-800 RAM
> WD 1 TB HDD
> Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://www.canadacomputers.com

Country of Origin: Ontario, Canada

Overclocking: Perhaps

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I'm keen on a quad core CPU and as far as the chassis is concerned, the 'bling' factor has no value whatsoever to me. Dust filters are required ob the chassis - looking the Antec 300

Would appreciate any suggestions / advice for the build. So far have considered the AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2Ghz for the CPU
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about substancial rebuild
  1. Just make sure you get an AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket board, as that is the compatible motherboard specification for DDR2-800 RAM
  2. I would HIGHLY advise you bump up your RAM to DDR3 man... you'd be foolish not to, DDR2 is oooold

I'd say get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB but you already have a WD so not a biggie

Just find yourself a decent enough PSU, Id say 600W or more (Corsair is a real good brand), any CD/DVD burner, I suggest the NZXT Lexa S for a case and a MOBO that'll match your RAM, I again, highly suggest upgrading to DDR3
  3. Best answer
    He already has DDR2 and AM3 chips work in AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboards. This saves him 90-100. The performance increase from DDR2 to DDR3 doesn't necessitate 1/6th of his budget.

Keep the DDR2, make sure the motherboard is compatible with DDR2 and the AM3 chip and get what you need.
  4. Edits Made :)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2 Ghz - $159.99

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $29.99

Mobo: ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 - $69.99

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion - $69.99 + $9.99 S&H

PSU: Antec EA-650 EarthWatts 650W - $59.99

Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black - $28.99

Others
    Arctic Silver 5 (3.5g) Thermal Compound - $7.99

Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band - $5.44

Canada Computers Flat Shipping Rate: $6.99

Final cost (after 13% HST): $501.62

----

I'm quite happy with the final cost of the build and see no need to max out my budget. Just a question though, my student res is heavily carpeted and do I need to worry about static electricity? Any precautions I should take - even if it's just for my peace of mind?
  5. I'd say get a hyper 212+ for $3 more. Get a corsair, antec, or seasonic PSU as cooler master's are hit and miss. Get and ea650 or 650tx. ea650 is only $60AR. Get a thermal paste that is not electrically conductive, so off of the site you are using that would be either the mx-3 or mx-4. I always use an anti static wristband just so I have peace of mind and they're only a couple of bucks.
  6. Seems like a pretty good build, only thing I disagree with is the CPU cooler. Go for the 212+

furthermore what people are saying about CM PSU's is bull, they work fine.

stick to AS-5 Paste
  7. you could consider overclocking the CPU, but with that card, GTS250, there really is no point at all...
  8. Thanks for the advice, will be placing the order sometime this week. One more question, do I need an anti-static mat (or something like that) or will a wriststrap suffice (everywhere is carpeted)
  9. Wriststrap is fine.
  10. Best answer selected by RenegadeNukes.
  11. Does this mean you've put it together?
  12. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems