PC consecutively rebooting

Notorious-Makavelian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Okay so if you read here you'll will see my previous problem
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/296588-10-week-unstable-playing-game

Now after that my PC ran great until today when it reboot for it's self right after burning a DVD . The system kept on rebooting especially in the Windows loading screen and at times when I went into the bios. The startup temp of the CPU were over 100 Degrees Celsius first if my eyes didn't deceive me and 56 Degrees Celsius the second time. Everytime the PC shutdown/reboot I would wait a few minutes but unlike the first time it would boot or even go past the Windows loading screen. Besides that the system was running really fine and there weren't any indication of the motherboard also no weird beeps on startup. Any one care to share there opinion.

suteck

Distinguished
After reading the forum you linked to it sounds like the same thing is happening. You need to check the seating of the HSF and make sure it's still seated properly. Maybe since this one is giving you so much trouble it's time for a different one??? One that you can seat easily and correctly the first time and will stay that way.

Notorious-Makavelian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Even though it was running good for that time period up until it started giving trouble besides if it was used before can it be possible that it was misused and it's possibly unstable (Overclocking even though I don't have any evidence of that) and can you recommend one in the AM3 family where the heatsink seating isn't difficult though I believe it may not be the issue

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Remove the CPU cooler. Clean all the thermal paste off of it completely until it is almost shiny. Then carefully use a cloth, or coffee filter with a little dab of alcohol and carefully clean the top of the CPU until it is very clean also. Then use the alcohol and clean the connector for the CPU fan on the motherboard. Wait a few minutes, then get some good quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver and apply it per package instructions. Then remount the cooler and plug in the fan.

Also, in your BIOS, find the tab where you can monitor the hardware temps and fan speeds and make sure the fan speed is OK.

If this doesn't help, then you need to trouble shoot your PSU or motherboard, or even possible replace the cooler you are using. But the thermal paste is cheap and a good clean surface will insure better contact. If you have taken the cooler off before and put it back on, even applied more thermal paste... but did not remove the old thermal paste, you could have a lump or particle stuck between the CPU and heatsink causing it to not make good contact.

Notorious-Makavelian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
what psu do you have?
A generic PSU that came with my Xtech case. I do intend to purchase a better one but need sometime to get more $$.

Okay thanks I wiped the surface of the processor and bottom of the HS too with a cheesecloth but since it's Sunday no stores are open so I'll have to wait tomorrow to purchase new thermal paste for the Processor (should I go for evercool in the event I don't get Artic Silver). Another question is it okay to wipe thermal paste off the processor surface with your bare fingers (I didn't do it but the guy where I bought my processor from did it)?

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
You should wipe it off with cheesecloth, or a coffee filter. You can wipe it off with your finger, but it's best to wipe it completely off with alcohol. Not wet, just a drop on the cloth. I would recommend getting it as clean as possible, because a small dry piece of old thermal paste can be hard and make a very small gap so the CPU and heatsink are not perfectly flush.

As for the thermal paste, just don't buy the cheapest. Usually the Arctic Silver is what I use, but buying the cheapest might not transfer the heat as much as you like. Buying the most expensive is just wasting money, unless you buy the large tube and plan to use it many times.