Sign in with
Your question

Intel or AMD for Gaming

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2010 9:33:03 AM

Hey Guys and Gals, I'm working on a spec list for a new gaming rig. I have alot of it already decided, and after readin a few of the builds here.. I've made some minor changes and run in a few questions. Lets start off with those things i knew i'm getting.
Concrete Pieces
Thermaltake Case VH600bws Armor+
G.Skill 6gb (3x2gb) 1600 RAM
SSD OCZ 30gb
WD 500gb SATA Caviar Green x2
EVGA GTX 460 FTW x 2
ThermalTake 1200W PSU

as you can tell, there are 3 things not listed. MoBo Proce and Sound Card.
This is where the questions come. I know alot of the new MoBo's come with onboard sound, but i'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Creative fanboy. I actually have an older creative in my current dell tower. so what is gonna be truely the best bang for the buck with mobo proc and sound. I've been looking at the Intel mobos and procs, but i wanna a pc that will last for a good few years and is totally totally upgradeable.
So for gaming, which is what i do alot of which is better, Intel or AMD?

CrossFire and SLI compat isnt required, but a nice extra as i've not yet worked with a tower with that option, and would like to.

Remeber, best bang for the buck.

More about : intel amd gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2010 10:39:45 AM

3x2GB RAM? Only Intel i7 1366 can handle that.
If you are asking about AMD or Intel, but with those 3 RAM sticks, the answer is only : Intel i7 , let say i7 930.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2010 10:40:33 AM

If you are willing to consider having 2x2GB RAM, then yes AMD option is still open.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 22, 2010 1:58:49 PM

In my opinion, the question of AMD vs Intel always boils down to budget. If the budget is there, go Intel. If not, go AMD. Both will serve you well.

As far as being "totally totally upgradeable", that's up to Intel and AMD. I've heard Intel is coming out with a new CPU socket that isn't compatible with current 1156/1366 processors. AMD will probably be coming out with a new AM3+ socket that may or may not be compatible with current AM3 processors. So the answer there is, "Who knows?"

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2010 2:19:16 PM

A good Intel build will last 3-5 years, so totally upgradeable in terms of Mobo and CPU should be irrelevant as by the time your computer is at its end things will likely have moved on notably.

Arguably an i7 930/50 etc could be 'most upgradable' because assuming Triple Channel RAM is here to stay, your next build should be able to use your old RAM modules.

But it really is all guess work, so just build a solid system and you cannot go wrong
m
l
October 22, 2010 9:53:19 PM

hey guys. thanks for the input. as alot of you have mentioned with the RAM and mobo's thought i would mention that ram is flexible to, on the same note thought, i cant see spending 400$+ on ram.
so i guess what im tryin to find out is will amd or intel be the system for gaming.
i'm not particular to either Intel or AMD, however i am lookin for upgradeable and the total package.
any ideas then on a gaming rig. budget is flexible.
if any one has specs for a gaming rig for intel and amd that would be great.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 22, 2010 10:00:28 PM

Well a good set of 3x2GB DDR3 RAM will cost you around $150, an i7-950 will be just under $300, and a motherboard will average about $220 (depending on the model). This totals about $670, not including the sound card.

I've been recommended the Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card, which gets some of the best reviews, and runs about $150
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2010 10:45:44 PM

IMHO

CPU: core I7 950 ~ 289ish
GPU: GTX 460 X2 ~ 200ish each, so 400 (IMHO [I used what you wanted] you didn't say the size, so it is rough on the price.... also I think you should go 6000 series...)
RAM:G.skill (ftw ^^) 3x2gb ~150ish
Mobo: depends... you'd probably want a good one, so 250ish probably higher...
case: Thermaltake Case VH600bws Armor+ (I used the one you had above, IMHO WAYYY overpriced...) ~ 184.99

Don't bother with a sound card, unless you want to use an analog headset. Most onboard 7.1 systems are as good as, or better then aftermarket sound cards. I am not bashing soundcards, they are just something that can wait, while you get better stuff in the computer, think of it as an upgrade in a few months, if you are bent on getting one. I personally use the G35 headset, and it works awesome....
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2010 1:00:25 AM

Have you already purchased the " concrete" parts?

If not, here are some thoughts:

For gaming upgradeability, the most likely part to upgrade is the graphics configuration. Dual GTX460 is very good, but not upgradeable. Better to spend the same money on a GTX480 to still leave room for upgrading.

The i7-950 will be good for some time, and could, arguably be upgraded to the 32nm 6 core beast, but that is unlikely, either from the cost point of view, or the need for it. If you have a microcenter near you, check out their walk in and bundle prices. The i7-950 is $230.

I like the 6gb of ram. It is plenty for gaming, and still leaves a bit left over for some other multitasking. If you will not multitask, then 4gb is the most you can use for a game.

I like a SSD for the OS, but 30gb is a bit small. Budget about $100 for 40-60gb.

A 1200w psu is overkill for anything sane.
A good quality 750/850w unit can handle anything else.

Try onboard sound first. You can always add a sound card later.

On Intel vs. AMD, Intel is about 15% faster, clock for clock. That said, any quad @3.0 should run any game well.

If you care about performance, get the WD black, not the green.
m
l
October 23, 2010 1:44:14 AM

Quote:
For gaming upgrade ability, the most likely part to upgrade is the graphics configuration. Dual GTX460 is very good, but not upgradeable. Better to spend the same money on a GTX480 to still leave room for upgrading.

So geo, are you saying just one 480? or 2? the dual 460 was to give me a few options.
1.) MultiMonitors as i do quite a few things at once. (well not that much, but i'm a webhoster and a dj. but neither need much extra ram or cpu)
2.) Toying with SLI/CrossfireX setups. I have not yet so i wanna :D 
Quote:
The i7-950 will be good for some time, and could, arguably be upgraded to the 32nm 6 core beast, but that is unlikely, either from the cost point of view, or the need for it. If you have a microcenter near you, check out their walk in and bundle prices. The i7-950 is $230.

with the i7-950( which is think i looked at) I had the Asus Revo P6T6 mobo to go with it. thoughts on that? Or is there a more upgradeable more fluent mobo you would suggest? fluent as in room work-space and upgrades
With the SSD, my thoughts are the same. SSD will be used for the OS, and other HDDs for programs games and the like. 40-60gb sounds a little better. God knows we cant count on MS to keep windows at a normal disk space level
About the Sound Card. THe onboard sound with the mobo will more likely be used for music. the primary card for gaming.

Quote:
Have you already purchased the " concrete" parts?

To answer this for everyone. NO none of the parts have been purchased yet.
its been a few years since i built a tower/box from scratch. I work on pc's all day as i'm a tech. fix the inside, less time building.
any and all suggestions are welcome and apprecaited.

edit :
i was looking at different mobo's and seen this EVGA x58 FTW3 board. any one heard anything bout this one? link below
EVGA x58 FTW3 LGA 1366
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2010 4:37:50 AM

Are you talking two monitors, or three or more?
Are these 1920 x 1200 monitors, or 2560 x 1600?

If you are talking two 1920 monitors, one of which will be for gaming, then a single GTX480 will be more than you need. If you have two 2560 monitors, then sli GTX480 might be in order.

I use a 5870 for gaming on a 2560 monitor, and while adequate, I think I could use more.
My second, static 2560 monitor is attached to a 7600GS

If you are thinking about a triple 1080P surround gaming system, then you will need dual Nvidia graphics to attach them. Such a configuration would probably do ok with dual GTX470 cards.

For upgrading, you will always have the option to market your current card/s and replace them with the next best thing.

As to motherboards, I would look for a full ATX with Sata 6gb, and USB3.0.
You should be able to find one from Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA for about $200.
Only if you need triple sli would you need more.
The speed of your cpu is determined almost entirely by your processor chip, not the motherboard.
Only if you are a competitive overclocker should you need to pay for an enthusiast motherboard.

"future proofing" is not really possible, nor is it economical. Spend what you need now, and save the difference for the next best thing in a few years.
m
l
October 23, 2010 8:07:29 PM

Quote:
Are you talking two monitors, or three or more?

I am currently running 2 monitors (1920*1080 and 1280*1024) and have planned to run at some point up to 4 monitors.
that many will not be ran for a while so for now 2-3 monitors of differing sizes and resolutions will be the start.
m
l
October 23, 2010 11:33:17 PM

Ok, First things First, Thanks to all of you who have posted and giving feedback. It has helped alot.
I may be knowledgeable with computers, but have yet to build my own, so it a learning experience.

After all that, here is my projected build, i will not include keyboard, mouse, monitors as i will reuse what i have.

Case : ThermalTake Armor+ VH600bws
MotherBoard : GigaByte GA-x58A-ud5
Processor : i7-950
Memory : G.Skill 6 GB (3x2gb)1600
PSU : ThermalTake 750 TPG-750M ( not 100% on this with dual v.cards installed)
SSD : OCZ 30-32gb
HDD's WD Caviar Black 500gb x2
Video : Evga GTX 460 FTW x2
Sound Card : Creative X-Fi TItanium PCIE

Still a work in progress, Im guessamiting it will upgrade descently, running smooth, and give me most of what i'm looking for.
any thoughts???

oh and with the case. I'm a looks kinda person, so if anyone knows were to find cases that have a "shine" of wow to them, im all ears.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2010 11:57:02 PM

Here is a "WOW" case. the lian li PC X900R:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It comes in black for $150 less.

I would look at the XFX750w psu. It is modular, and silver rated.
They also make a nice 850w unit for not much more.

As to advice, download and read the manuals for the motherboard and the case that you are considering. Many questions will be answered.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2010 12:08:13 AM

You might want to switch to Dual 6850/70s. Slightly better than 460OC/470s with lower power consumption.

For the Mobo, you might want to get the Sabertooth, $200 get you nearly everything and then some. You lose Tri-GPU but thats not supported on either Nvidia or AMd's mid-range offerings anyways.

On the case, Id say the RV01/02 are great cases, looks cool and for around $200 a piece not absurdly expensive.
m
l
October 24, 2010 1:47:21 AM

Geo
Quote:

Ok wow.. i just looked at those.. both are well under the price for the TT 750.
Guess i'm switch PSU's. Thanks Geo.

Timop
Quote:
For the Mobo, you might want to get the Sabertooth, $200 get you nearly everything and then some. You lose Tri-GPU but thats not supported on either Nvidia or AMd's mid-range offerings anyways.

Timop. thanks for the suggestions. did you compare the 2 mobo's? i ask to find out why the sabertooth over the one i listed. just curios.

Quote:
You might want to switch to Dual 6850/70s. Slightly better than 460OC/470s with lower power consumption.

I'm not exactly sure which brand these 2 cards are, by the "model" i'm thinkin ATI. I had an ati card, well had 2 in my life. then i bought a GTX220. I absolute love my nvidia now. oh wait. ATI hasnt made it pass 5xxx series yet i think. either way. i'll look for those and see what they got :D 
m
l
October 24, 2010 5:01:44 AM

They just came out with their new 6xxx series. 6850/6870. replacing the 5770 and 5750. higher ends come in 2 weeks? having 2 cards go for a modular psu. Itll keep it less cluttered and have more space to move air

suggestions:

1) Samsung Spinpoint is faster than caviar blacks. i just recently bought a 1tb for $54 off newegg

2) Try onboard sound before you buy a sound card. you may or may not be surpised.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:25:21 AM

Quote:
They just came out with their new 6xxx series. 6850/6870. replacing the 5770 and 5750. higher ends come in 2 weeks? having 2 cards go for a modular psu. Itll keep it less cluttered and have more space to move air

Awesome. new product, yet i still dont see the chipset (ati or nvidia) knowing that i can actually look it up.

Kudos on the SpinPoint SUggestion. new HD's in the list.

Quote:
2) Try onboard sound before you buy a sound card. you may or may not be surpised.

Not totally sure if i have put this in my posts yet, but i use 2 sound cards.. and for good reasons.
1. I use the primary card (X-FI) for gaming.
2. the onboard will be used for music and my djing.
This is why i have 2 s.cards on the bill. I have heard and toyed with the new on board sound and as long as its not RealTek.. they arent half bad.

If i can get eiter links to these video cards or a chipset, i can look them up. No one has mentioned the Manufac yet.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2010 2:06:04 PM

techievamps said:
Geo
Quote:

Ok wow.. i just looked at those.. both are well under the price for the TT 750.
Guess i'm switch PSU's. Thanks Geo.

Timop
Quote:

Timop. thanks for the suggestions. did you compare the 2 mobo's? i ask to find out why the sabertooth over the one i listed. just curios.

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure which brand these 2 cards are, by the "model" i'm thinkin ATI. I had an ati card, well had 2 in my life. then i bought a GTX220. I absolute love my nvidia now. oh wait. ATI hasnt made it pass 5xxx series yet i think. either way. i'll look for those and see what they got :D 

The Sabertooth is only $200, but can offer nearly identical OC capabilities and features other features like Ceramix cooling. Its just a nicer board for less money, as the only "feature" you'll lose is Tri-CFX/SLI.

Heres the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The HD6850/70 is the brand-new AMD (ATI) models thats competes with the 460/470. The 6850 offers slightly better performance than the 460 1GB at stock while using a bit less power and being usually about $20 cheaper upfront. The 6870 offers GTX470 level performance, uses quite a bit less power and is generally $10-20 less. Both also scale fantastically in Crossfire, on par with the GTX4XXs. Read about them, and really consider them.

On the Manufactuers, HIS, MSI, Sapphire, ASUS, and XFX are nice, though its not worth paying more than $239.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2010 5:20:35 PM

techievamps said:
Ok, First things First, Thanks to all of you who have posted and giving feedback. It has helped alot.
I may be knowledgeable with computers, but have yet to build my own, so it a learning experience.

After all that, here is my projected build, i will not include keyboard, mouse, monitors as i will reuse what i have.

Case : ThermalTake Armor+ VH600bws
MotherBoard : GigaByte GA-x58A-ud5
Processor : i7-950
Memory : G.Skill 6 GB (3x2gb)1600
PSU : ThermalTake 750 TPG-750M ( not 100% on this with dual v.cards installed)
SSD : OCZ 30-32gb
HDD's WD Caviar Black 500gb x2
Video : Evga GTX 460 FTW x2
Sound Card : Creative X-Fi TItanium PCIE

Still a work in progress, Im guessamiting it will upgrade descently, running smooth, and give me most of what i'm looking for.
any thoughts???

oh and with the case. I'm a looks kinda person, so if anyone knows were to find cases that have a "shine" of wow to them, im all ears.

Don't waste your money on the EVGA FTW GTX460; it's overpriced for what it is. Stick with these EVGA 460s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These have a lifetime warranty, and can easily be overclocked to the FTW OC using MSI Afterburner (I have 2 in SLI at 850MHz/1700MHz and a faster memory clock). You'll save $40 on a pair of them, plus another $20 in MIRs.
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:13:45 PM

Ok so lately ive been looking at the GTX 400 series of cards. I think i'm stuck on nvidia chipset. more specifically Zotac. which leaves a few questions
1. how good is zotac? i see they get as good of reviews as giga and evga on newegg.
2. which 400 series would be best 460, 470 or 480?
Reason for looking at Zotac is there connector setup. its setup differently then most others, and i like the look of the pin config.

or any suggestions on just a gtx 400 series. like the old jingle I guess i'm stuck on Nvidia cause Nividia stuck with me. :D 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2010 2:58:13 PM

If you may be using three 1920 x 1080 monitors, you are looking at two graphics cards simply to attach them. You need to manage 6gb of pixels, 50% more than a 2560 x 1600 monitor. Check benchmarks for that size, and you should see that you need about 50% more capability than a GTX480 can give. Fortunately, they have come down in price a bit, probably in anticipation of a GTX580 due out by year end. If you buy now, go with EVGA, they have a 90 day trade up program if a better card should appear. Being a US company, they seem to offer good support. The cards all have the same guts. They may differ in cooler, warranty, OC,or, like zotac, the attachment placement. It might be reasonable to get just one good GTX480 and see how you do. If needed, you can get another, trade it in, or market it and get the next best thing.

On the sound card, I suggest you try onboard HD sound first. Could you not try your current sound card if you thought it would be better? You can always add a sound card later.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2010 3:30:38 PM

I would probably say a minimum of the GTX 470s based on what you've told us. They have come down in price over the last few months (my GTX 460s are $40 cheaper now).

I don't think Zotac makes bad cards, but I wouldn't trust their length of life. If you get an EVGA card(s), you won't be disappointed, and the lifetime warrantied cards are eligible for EVGA's step up program, which is awesome (it would cost me only $70 per card to upgrade to 470s).
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:26:48 AM

ok, so i've been readin reviews all over the place. and i'm now really thinkin hard bout the video card setup. once again the ati vs nvidia idea. im not so much confused, just really tryin to find the best card. so let have at it. ATI or NVIDIA?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2010 2:05:11 PM

techievamps said:
ok, so i've been readin reviews all over the place. and i'm now really thinkin hard bout the video card setup. once again the ati vs nvidia idea. im not so much confused, just really tryin to find the best card. so let have at it. ATI or NVIDIA?

You mostly get what you are paying for. Do not anguish over minor differences. For gaming, get the best card you feel comfortable paying for. This is particularly true if you will be gaming at 1080P or larger. Sacrifice some cpu speed or cores if you must.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2010 5:10:13 PM

It also depends on what you want. I wanted the Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D, so I had to go Nvidia. If I wanted a bazillion monitors, I probably would've chosen the 5900 series with the 6 mini DisplayPort outputs.

I've heard things about Crossfire not scaling as well as SLI, but I've never used an ATI GPU so I wouldn't know. I also know people who swear by Nvidia in terms of hardware and ATI in terms of performance, but again, I have no experience for comparison.

All I can tell you is that I'm definitely loving the Nvidia experience.
m
l
October 27, 2010 6:13:11 PM

sounds good boiler. I was kinda thinkin the same thing bout my gtx 220. i didnt have to give an arm and a leg for it and its done a great job as is. so prolly gonna stick with nvidia.

oh by the way boiler.. how you like that ftw3 mobo. it was another one i looked at.. has a few less feature/slot then the gigabyte i'm lookin at..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2010 7:10:31 PM

It's a hardy motherboard indeed. My Titan Fenrir bracket couldn't fit next to the chipset coolers, so I had so cut it down to size (using a mallet and screwdriver ;) ). I also accidentally broke the plastic on one of the SATA ports, since they stick out sideways and not up from the mobo, which is something to consider.

It has a ton of features for OCers (something I'm not; the price was good for what I wanted), and since there are fewer PCI-Express x16 slots, my USB 3.0 bandwidth isn't limited like some of the other boards (only one or two; X58 supports a lot of channels).
m
l
October 29, 2010 3:51:30 AM

Ok guys,
I wanna thank everyone for their input help and advice. I know no better place to come for info on well anything.
after much time of working and looking and reading, i have come to my final build for my gaming rig.
many thanks to Geo and boiler as you 2 gave the info that really pushed things to the final.

here is the final bould specs.

Case : ThermalTake Element V VL2000K1W2Z
PSU : XFX 850W Black
MoBo : EVGA X58 FTW3
Processor : I7-950 3.06ghz
Memory : G.Skill 6gb(3x2gb)
SSD : OCZ Agility 60gb
HDD's : Samsung SpinPoint 500gb x2
Video Card(s) : EVGA GTX 460 x2 (lifetime warrantied/tradeup)
Sounds Card : Creative SB X-Fi Extreme
Optical Drive : Samsung DVD Burner with lightscribe
Keyboard : Steelseries Merc Stealth

cost is around $1950.
This is without an OS. just gotta find it the cheapest price on that. but hey all good.

Thanks again everyone.
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2010 4:02:36 AM

Well its a good build... But.... I don't think you need to go with such an expensive mobo... Its 270$ practically more than the CPU. You could just simply go with something like the Asus Sabertooth. It has all the features like the FTW3 has for 70$ cheaper. That money could go toward the SSD.

Sabertooth: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now to evaluate on what I mean. The SSD you chose. It just sucks. For its cost its really not worth it. No offense. But a better deal is getting the A-Data S559 64gb for only 112$. Cheaper than the Agility for a faster performance. "A-Data" has the negative connotation of being cheap with bad products. But there S559 has OCZ's Vertex 2 new line up beat. Well even the model you chose and the Vertex Turbo.

Review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/adata-s599-100gb-ssd-revi...
(100gb model, but same thing can be applied to the 64gb)
Product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 29, 2010 5:19:36 AM

Thanks for the look at the A-Data. I may use that one instead of the OCZ, of course i havent heard to much unreal negative bout OCZ, and the a-data peeps seem to like this one too. if nothing else.. i'll get both and test them side by side. or top to bottom.. lol.thanks for the SSD input.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2010 2:55:58 PM

I would agree with the sabretooth recommendation. It seems like a good quality value to me. I like the 5 year warranty. Unless you are looking for record overclocks or triple sli(which is not a great idea) it is not necessary. Spend the $70 difference elsewhere.

As to the GTX460 MSI cyclone, I do not like the cooler. It will do a great job of getting heat off of the gpu die, but it then dumps the heat into the case where case cooling had to deal with it. It shows up well on an open air test bed, but in a case, it heats up the air that the gpu AND the cpu get for cooling. In my experience, that increases the temps of both by about 5c. Therefore, I prefer a standard dual slot direct exhaust cooler.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2010 10:46:54 PM

True, that's true. But Geofelt, with the case he's getting it won't be blowing back into the case because, if the pic is correct, there is a 200mm right infront of the VGA spot, so the cooling would be "like" a "push-pull" config with the cyclones blowing the air and the exhaust on the side pushing it immediately out. So just good case air flow takes the hot air in the case out of the equation.
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:19:28 AM

Ok guys. i'm looking at PSU's and i found a 950 seem to like and on newegg it gets better reviews then the XFX 850 that i started with. if someone would take a look at them and (dont look at the $$$, that not a problem) tell me what you all think, i'd greatly apprecaite opinions.
here's teh comparision link
2 PSU's Im Looking At
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 6:43:05 AM

Great PSU.... I'm so proud of you haha. The XFX 850 BE is a great PSU, honestly probably one of the best cheaper PSUs. I'd pick this one mainly because it's so good at efficiency, but also modular will allow you to cable manage easier. So it'd be a great PSU.

Review: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1166/6/

Short summary: IT just basically says it can handle triple SLI or Crossfire easily and it's a good psu, quiet as well.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 2:30:28 PM

techievamps said:
Ok guys. i'm looking at PSU's and i found a 950 seem to like and on newegg it gets better reviews then the XFX 850 that i started with. if someone would take a look at them and (dont look at the $$$, that not a problem) tell me what you all think, i'd greatly apprecaite opinions.
here's teh comparision link
2 PSU's Im Looking At

There is little value in getting a psu that is much stronger than necessary.
It will loaf, and run at less than it's best efficiency. In this case, it is a non modular unit with a bunch of cables that you will not use. The trend is for components that use less power, not more.

If you anticipate the need for three graphics cards, then the PC P&C unit is good. They have outstanding customer support, and I don't think that has changed since OCZ bought them.

Otherwise, the XFX850 is a great unit, and even the 750w unit would serve you well.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 5:31:37 PM

Haha I just looked at the build again, 850 is way more than you need. I mean the 750 BE geofelt mentioned would be enough for your build.

@Geofelt: He won't be able to tri-sli with 460s, the 460s don't support that. =P Sadly.
m
l
October 31, 2010 6:38:05 PM

wel tri-sli with the 460's isnt a big deal at all.. as a matter of fact, its kinda null and void as i'm using the 470's lol. and i'd rather have a little extra. the 850 give me room to expand as i plan on.

edit: now i see why you said that though.. duh me. i put the 460's in not the 470's i have written down.
wow.. yea.. ok.. any way.. im using the evga 470's not 460's lol
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 7:07:03 PM

Oh ok, yep go with the 850, 470s suck a lot of energy, or not ALOT but more than CF 5870s. So yeah. Be sure to cool them well as 470s in SLI get EXTREMELY hot on the top card.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 7:47:40 PM

I agree on both the PSU upgrade and the cooling. I was look at using the Step-Up program to get 470s and then get a 3rd later, but I would have had to spend $70 to upgrade each card, a third card ($300), a 1kW PSU ($150-200) and most likely a watercooling kit ($500?), which would have been another $1000 I didn't have.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 7:53:28 PM

Well I mean he DOESNT HAVE to get WCing, I mean it's just he should get non-reference designed 470s. Since reference designs would run a bit hot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 8:56:55 PM

I couldn't put my 460s next to each other; I had to put a slot between them because one of the cards wasn't getting enough airflow. I couldn't imagine 3 470s that are hotter could run w/o overheating.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2010 9:14:29 PM

Well I don't think that tri-sli 470 is really needed, I mean 470 SLI is already pretty good and strong.
m
l
November 1, 2010 12:41:14 AM

Shinobi I goin with the EVGA 470 SC on newegg(ill post a link to the card) and currently only have 2 in the mix. havent thought much yet on tri-sli or tri-xfire but could be a projct to play with down the road.
Quote:
Oh ok, yep go with the 850, 470s suck a lot of energy, or not ALOT but more than CF 5870s. So yeah. Be sure to cool them well as 470s in SLI get EXTREMELY hot on the top card.

main reason for picking the EVGA is the trade up lifetime warranty. i currently have a evga 220 in my dell pc. the games i play it does well.
truely a shame i couldnt use 3 monitors in sli for gaming with the 470's.
maybe i'll look into that later on.
here's the link for the 470's
EVGA 470's SC
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2010 1:00:29 AM

techievamps said:
Shinobi I goin with the EVGA 470 SC on newegg(ill post a link to the card) and currently only have 2 in the mix. havent thought much yet on tri-sli or tri-xfire but could be a projct to play with down the road.
Quote:

main reason for picking the EVGA is the trade up lifetime warranty. i currently have a evga 220 in my dell pc. the games i play it does well.
truely a shame i couldnt use 3 monitors in sli for gaming with the 470's.
maybe i'll look into that later on.
here's the link for the 470's
EVGA 470's SC

If I am not mstaken, you can run three monitors in sli with two GTX470's.
I think the trade up is for 90 days only.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2010 5:02:34 AM

I think that's correct to say Geofelt, anyway, I don't think I'd go with that even though you get lifetime warrenty. I mean the Gigabyte model has 3yrs warrenty but it is the best 470 model. Since it has even lower power consumption than that of a standard 470 for a much cooler card. =P lots of reviews say so at least. However the model is out of stock :p 

m
l
November 13, 2010 7:04:54 PM

dont know if this is the right place for this but.. with the thermal paste does a cpu and heatsink react better if tinted, or just straight paste and place?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2010 7:13:39 PM

O.O what thermal paste are you using? And how are you applying it?
m
l
!