Sign in with
Your question

Seeking advice in choosing an HD 5850, options listed.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2010 5:10:38 PM

So I've pretty much decided on a 5850 for my $1000 amd gaming build - problem is there are 17 versions so I am seeking some recommendations...

I'm currently looking at the GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is are the search results for the 17 different variations of this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

I'm going to be using it solo at first and eventually add another for Crossfire.
September 3, 2010 5:52:59 PM

Ok so i'm a custom PC noob spending lots of time on research for my new build. Can I get a quick rundown on overclocking these cards - some of them are 'already overclocked' to a degree? i'm guessing you can try and push any of em further?
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 6:07:48 PM

Quote:
Buy xfx 5850 black edition they are factory overclocked and kickass performer.

Yes... the most expensive one.

Also this seems like a dumb question, but I've heard that b/c of the size of these cards they take up 2 slots - so if I'm looking at a mobo with 2 pciE slots will there not be enough room for 2 cards running crossfire?

like this mobo for ex.

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

good choice?
m
l
September 3, 2010 6:08:44 PM

Quote:

Also this seems like a dumb question, but I've heard that b/c of the size of these cards they take up 2 slots - so if I'm looking at a mobo with 2 pciE slots will there not be enough room for 2 cards running crossfire?

like this mobo for ex.

good choice?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 6:14:31 PM

I would say the Vapor-X version or the Toxic version from Sapphire. Toxic is overclocked and Vapor-X has a better cooler.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 6:19:12 PM

Quote:

Why pay someone else to overclock a video card for you?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 6:24:05 PM

muckle said:
Ok so i'm a custom PC noob spending lots of time on research for my new build. Can I get a quick rundown on overclocking these cards - some of them are 'already overclocked' to a degree? i'm guessing you can try and push any of em further?

Do not pay extra for an OCed video card. It is very simple to overclock on your own and you will get much better results. The main difference in terms of overclocking is the varying coolers and that some of these cards allow you to increase the voltage on the core for a higher overclock. The cards that allow you to do so are the reference models, the DirectCU that I linked and the MSI Twin Frozr. To my knowledge none of the others allow for such. With a voltage boost these cards can often get up to around 1ghz on the core which is a massive 38% over the reference speed of 725mhz.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 6:27:14 PM

muckle said:

like this mobo for ex.

good choice?

Almost all crossfire/sli motherboards will put a different port between the two PCIEx16 slots to allow for dual slot cards. That motherboard actually leaves even more space which is nice for air flow purposes.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 6:29:06 PM

The PCIE-16x slots are the long blue ones, they intentionally space them out so you can fit 2 double slot cards and still have a little space between them.
m
l
September 3, 2010 6:29:32 PM

jyjjy said:
Do not pay extra for an OCed video card. It is very simple to overclock on your own and you will get much better results. The main difference in terms of overclocking is the varying coolers and that some of these cards allow you to increase the voltage on the core for a higher overclock. The cards that allow you to do so are the reference models, the DirectCU that I linked and the MSI Twin Frozr. To my knowledge none of the others allow for such. With a voltage boost these cards can often get up to around 1ghz on the core which is a massive 38% over the reference speed of 725mhz.

Ok that makes sense.
m
l
!