24v CPU Connectors

oddbodx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure I've done thius correctly, but as two CPUs have blown in the rig I was building (either fauly PSU or MOBO) I wanted to double check!

My Power Supply (Corsair GX 550) comes with a 4+4 pin CPU connector (2 connectors, 4 pins each, on same lead from PSU).

My MOBO (P8P67 PRO) has an 8 pin socket.

The 4+4 pin connectors fit snugly side by side in the 8 pin socket - however when they are both plugged in, i was getting no case fans, simply a red flash from the VGA and CPU LED then silence.

With one 4 pin connector in (the one which only fits in the left 4 holes as you look at the mobo in case) I get the same issue.

Oddly, with neither plugged in the chassis comes to life, fans spin, HD starts working, but of course no display.

Something seems to be wrong on the 12v rail - I will have the parts replacewd but just wanted to double check 100% that I was initially right in plugging the 2 4 pins in next to each other!

CPU is the 15 2500k, which under load I believe has a TDP or 135w.

Thanks guys, am sure this one is obvious to most of you just wanted to double check!

(1) " Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, 3.30 GHz) quick reference guide ... No. Lithography. 32 nm. Max TDP. 95 W." Which means that a single 4 pin ATA is fine, 8 pin is better and recommended if OCing. The 4 pin connection is OK below 120 Watts.
My self I always use the 8 pin connection if available.

(2) You have (1) a problem with the MB, (2) the PSU. There have been a few cases that an indidual has "Forcer" the plug on backwards. Only way to rule out is to swap out the PSU with a Known good one. You could also invest in a cheap DVM (About $16 @ walmart) and check the voltages on the ATX power plug.