Solved

Hard drive not running at 6Gb/s

Hello,

I recently bought a western digital 1TB 6 Gb/s hard drive and it shows that it's running at 1.5 Gb/s under Intel Rapid Storage. What can I do to make the hard drive run at max speed?

8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard drive running
  1. Hard drives can be SATA 6Gb/s compatible, not 6Gb/s capable.

No hard drive can spin fast enough to achieve SATA 6Gb/s speeds.

Your drive has a buffer (16MB, or 32MB, or 64MB) which briefly transfers data at 6Gb/ speeds, but that's it.

What's the model of your drive?
  2. Dereck47 said:
    Hard drives can be SATA 6Gb/s compatible, not 6Gb/s capable.

No hard drive can spin fast enough to achieve SATA 6Gb/s speeds.

Your drive has a buffer (16MB, or 32MB, or 64MB) which briefly transfers data at 6Gb/ speeds, but that's it.

What the model of your drive?

It's the WD1002FAEX drive. I have it hooked up to a SATA 6Gb/s port.
  3. Best answer
    That drive has maximum Read/Write speeds of 126MB/s, which is SATA 1 (1.5Gb/s) speeds.

Here's the link to the spec sheet of your drive: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701276.pdf
  4. Dereck47 said:
    That drive has maximum Read/Write speeds of 126MB/s, which is SATA 1 (1.5Gb/s) speeds.

Here's the link to the spec sheet of your drive: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701276.pdf

Thanks for the info. Is this speed average compared to other similar drives? (Not including those WD drives)
  5. Yes, it is. Some faster HDDs (like the Seagate Barracuda) can get up to 210MB/s, which is in the SATA 2 (3Gb/s) speed range.
  6. Best answer selected by zackb101.
  7. Dereck47 said:
    Yes, it is. Some faster HDDs (like the Seagate Barracuda) can get up to 210MB/s, which is in the SATA 2 (3Gb/s) speed range.

Thanks for your help. What is the point in 6Gb compatibility if it doesn't come close... I have a lot to learn regarding hard drives.
  8. zackb101 said:
    What is the point in 6Gb compatibility if it doesn't come close... I have a lot to learn regarding hard drives.

:) It's mainly Marketing. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Rapid Storage Storage