patseguin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I just completed an upgrade of my motherboard and CPU in my homebuilt system. I bought an AMD Phenom II X6 3.2GHz and an ASRock 890FX Deluxe 4 motherboard. My case is an Antec 1200 (I think that's the model) with fans that are powered by the powersupply, not regulated by the motherboard. I put everything in and left the side panel off when I powered up to make sure everything worked. All worked fine so I put the side panel back on. Soon after, the system started making a very subtle but annoying high pitched whine from one of the fans presumably. This morning, I took off the side panel to check things out and the whining instantly stopped and I could hear a fan slow down a little. I put the panel back on and it was quiet for like 2 minutes and then the whine started again. This never happened before with the old motherboard and CPU. Anyone care to speculate what the issue could be? I did overclock the CPU to 3.5GHz, but I overclocked my previous CPU without this whining. I just thought it was odd how the whine instantly stopped when I took off the panel.

patseguin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It's interesting that you say that because the panel doesn't seem to be going on quite right. Normally, I used to just put it on the bottom rail and snap in and forward. Now, the back end kind of sticks out a little bit and I have to lift and push it into place and hold it with my leg while putting the screws back in. I really never thought of this, could that really be it?