Sign in with
Your question

MSATA SSD as Bootable Drive? - Inspiron 17R 5720

Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2013 3:24:51 PM

So,

I desperately need the SSD speed.

I know i can use the intels caching stuff, but i dont want to!!

Intel® Smart Response Technology:
Intel® Rapid Start Technology:

What i am looking to do is, put a 128GB mSATA SSD drive in the slot, fire windows into in and use this as my OS & APPS drive, (Drive C:) , and then use the existing drive, the 1TB mechanical drive as the storage drive (Drive D:) .

The dell site, say i can not use an MSATA SSD to boot with...i see no reason why!?

Can anyone advise?

Also, i cant find the spec of the mSATA...dont know whether its SATA 3 or SATA 2.

Thanks
January 30, 2013 8:26:06 PM

Its a dell Inspiron 17R 5720. For some reason even the dell website cant even tell me whether the hdd or the msata ports are sata 1 2 or 3.

Related resources
a c 147 G Storage
January 31, 2013 2:07:30 AM

gaz_0001 said:
Its a dell Inspiron 17R 5720. For some reason even the dell website cant even tell me whether the hdd or the msata ports are sata 1 2 or 3.

I have spent several minutes searching for an answer and the best I could come up with is no answer. I did see that the hard drive upgrade options include two SATA-150 drives (SATA 1) but still does not answer the question about whether the controller is SATA 1, 2 or 3. However under downloads there are downloads for Dell SATA2 drives: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/in....
The owner's manual didn't offer any clues either.
January 31, 2013 4:22:06 AM

Very ODD!!
January 31, 2013 11:18:27 AM

Yeah, i have no idea myself. I cant find the info on dell and also i cant actually ask dell, as their is no communication channell between me and them...other than a forum, of people who just volunteer to read specs and relay them back to the end user.
October 8, 2013 7:54:02 AM

gaz_0001 said:
So,

I desperately need the SSD speed.

I know i can use the intels caching stuff, but i dont want to!!

Intel® Smart Response Technology:
Intel® Rapid Start Technology:

What i am looking to do is, put a 128GB mSATA SSD drive in the slot, fire windows into in and use this as my OS & APPS drive, (Drive C:) , and then use the existing drive, the 1TB mechanical drive as the storage drive (Drive D:) .

The dell site, say i can not use an MSATA SSD to boot with...i see no reason why!?

Can anyone advise?

Also, i cant find the spec of the mSATA...dont know whether its SATA 3 or SATA 2.

Thanks

Yes . I can becuase i have implemented it on my week ago puchased dell inspiron 17SE 7720 .it came originally with windows 8 , 32 gb msata, two 750 gb hard drives. i did not like windows 8 . so i could able to install windows 7 ultimate on 32 gb msata . for that you need to replace ISRT IN BIOS with AHCL . Then proceed to instal on 32 gb msata . my pc wotking fine .
February 10, 2014 10:31:37 AM

Dell Inspiron 5720 does not give the option in bios to boot from the mSATA SSD. But if you install some OS onto the normal HDD and then install a second OS onto the mSATA SSD you will have a boot option menu and you can boot from the mSATA SSD. I have a 128G installed and it works great and the speed is amazing for Data basing in MySQL, it also works great for BF4.
!