Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with having to re install windows

Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2013 3:38:34 PM

Recently my homebuilt gaming computer wasn't turning on, but I fixed it by taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in. But now when I turn it on it's saying that everything has been reset and I have to re install windows 7. I really don't want to have to go through all of it again since I was using it for two days and I downloaded all of my games (which took forever). Is there any way to get all my information back without have to re install everything? I would have thought that if the PC was reset it wouldn't erase everything off of the hard drive. I am new to building computers so I don't really know.
a c 80 G Storage
January 30, 2013 4:16:40 PM

It didn't erase anything off your HDD, but it did set all the bios settings back to default settings. This means that you need to go back and change the settings back to what you had then set to before you took out the battery.

It may just be that your primary boot device is set wrong.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:02:09 PM

ss202sl said:
It didn't erase anything off your HDD, but it did set all the bios settings back to default settings. This means that you need to go back and change the settings back to what you had then set to before you took out the battery.

It may just be that your primary boot device is set wrong.

I finally got it to work! Building the computer was easy. It's all the technical stuff that I have trouble with.
m
l
!