CPU getting too hot

mike_from_oz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

I need some help with an issue with my daughter's PC that's stumped me. Here are the basic system specs:

Intel E5200
Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
2GB DD2
Radeon HD4670

The issue is CPU temp.

It has a Xigmatek HDT-D1264 cpu cooler but with that the CPU temp is hitting nearly 80 degrees.

I thought that perhaps I didn't install it correctly, or that something had been knocked about as we recently moved. So pulled everything out and rebuilt it all. Cleaned and applied new thermal paste. Got the same result.

Thinking that perhaps the cooler is faulty, I went out and purchased a DeepCool CPU cooler that looks very similar to the generic coolers issued by Intel. Once again, cleaned off the CPU applied thermal paste... got the same result again (temps hitting above 80 degrees this time).

The machine is still working fine despite the crazy temps.

I don't know what would be the next best strategy. Should I replace the CPU or the motherboard, or both? Could there be some other factor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Nazakat Lund

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Helo Mr.Mike tru to keep your CPU in a cool place and keep its covers open and give it break at least after every 3 hours. I also had a similiar Problem you also try these things it might solve your problem.
(Nazakat Lund)

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I don't know quite what tech level you are so apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :)

Have you checked that all the fans are working OK? It could be that, even if the fan on the CPU cooler is running fine, there's no cool air in the case for it to blow over the cooler. Make sure that any intake fans (probably in the front of the case) are running well, plus any exhaust fans (normally in the back), not forgetting the power supply fan. There should be a nice flow of cool air through the case if all is well.

Also, is the BIOS fan speed control turned on? If so, try turning it off to see if that helps - I've had a few problems with some motherboards (mainly older ones, admittedly) in the past where the speed control doesn't work once the OS is booted and the fans stay at the slowest speed regardless of the system temperature.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
what program are you monitoring the temps with? check them in the bios to verify that the program is correct.

open the side of your case and place a fan blowing air directly into the case. let the computer run for 15 minutes, then feel the side of the heat sink. if it is actually anywhere near 80 degrees celcius it will probably burn your finger. if however it only feels mildly warm to the touch its probably operating within temp specs and something has gone wonky with one of your sensors.

how difficult did you find it to fit the hsf? the push pins require a lot of effort to fit, the mobo will appear to bend, its doesn't feel right, but if it wasn't hard you weren't doing it right.

The 'arrow heads' of the push pins should be all the way through the mobo, there needs to be a high pressure contact between the hsf and the cpu. This is/was a common problem that we heard a lot about a couple of years ago. There is no reason to 'keep it in a cool place' it should be good for 24x7 running with good enough case ventilation.

mike_from_oz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks everyone for the advice and replies.

To answer some of the questions from everyone...

Case fans... all seem to be working fine.

Fan control speed in bios... I turned that off initially once I noticed the problem

Monitoring temps... I'm using Core Temp. I've also checked them in BIOS as well with the same result.

Installing cooler difficulty... very painful. The Xigmatek took a bit of work due to its sheer size and the location of the push pins. The basic HSF in the machine now was a lot easier to install. Yes the board does look like it's flexing and the arrow heads are all the way through.

I've just noticed something interesting which might shed some light on this. The computer had been reset overnight for some reason (all programs that were running were closed) and on starting Core Temp, the temps are sitting on 45 degrees.

However I also noticed that the cpu speed was running at around 1600 (200x8), rather than 2500 and fluctuating between that and 1800, with the multiplier jumping around.

So wanting to test this, I ran Prime95.

It's currently in the second test while I type this, sitting on 100% load. The frequency has moved back up to 2500 (200x12.5) and the temps are at 60 degrees.

Does that shed any light as to where the problem is? It's morning here now and the ambient temp is cooler than last night.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
prime 95 on second run sitting at 60 is a heck of a big difference than sitting at 80 while playing some games.

although that's still pretty high your at least out of the danger area.

what is your ambient tempature?