flight-simulator-build

zeroscape150

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Hi Emperus, I have been running Flight Simulator since 1995. I have always preferred an AMD processor and associated motherboard for every computer build; always improving my computer setups to play the next FS verison. Presently using from 2004 an Athlon XP 2600+ , 2 GBs DDR3 ram and ATI X-800 video card. FSX plays fairly well except for FPS rates do come down near landings. The scenery is sparce and traffic slider is about 50%. I need some advice for a new build in the range of $1300.
I have been to many Internet sites getting opinions from many people and as you said, FSX crunches through cores.
According to what I've read, Intel's latest i7s with Crossfire X setups don't solve the problem, that's why I threw out the question on your site. By the way, thanks for a prompt response.

The AMD people put out many choices as you already know

AMD Phenom™II X4 955, 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport
AMD Phenom II x 6 1055T, 1075T, 1090T

I don't need a smoking computer just one that plays FSX with a option for an upgrade if FS 11 is ever developed.
I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks again for your time and effort.

For your budget, the AMD camp can offer you a six core CPU which will be great, both for FSX and your overall computing tasks.. Pair it up with a decent video card (like a 5850) and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM and you'll be done and happy for quite a few years and hopefully atleast another couple of FS releases..

zeroscape150

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Emperus, that's the most positive response I've received yet from a knowledgeable person. One of my options is to let Cyberpower build my next computer with these parts:

AMD Phenom II x 6 1055T CPU
Gigabyte 870 USB3 +Sata III Motherboard
4GB DDR3/ 1600 mhz Memory
1TB SATA III 7200rpm HHD
Fans and Liquid Cooler Upgrade
24x DVD +- R/+- RW Drive
Apevia- Cruiser 2 case
800 Watt Extreme gear power supply, etc, etc
ATI 5850 video card GPU

Approx. $1350

I've priced most parts and I can't build this setup cheaper. Cyberpower does rush orders so everything is a chance. I just don't want to buy a build that turns out to be a hot running trouble machine that still won't run FSX. Some guys have entered the program itself to make file changes to twek the operating program. I've found a site that tells how to twek many files which can be dangerous. I'm not into over clocking. Enough said. Emperus you are a gentleman and a scholar. Many thanks. Bob Bruce in California.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I wouldn't pay $1350 for a $900 computer.
Build it yourself and save:
Total: $880 with mail in rebates and promo code MBTEN19

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996825
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226122
$10 Mail in rebate

Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
and
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.521982

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
and
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514542
$20 Mail in Rebate

ASUS EAH5850 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...
and
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.516601
$20 Mail in Rebate

If FSX uses cores . . . well, you got cores now lol.

I'm surprised you can't build that box for less than $1350, but the only other problem builders here would have is the quality of the psu and HD Cyber might use.

Specifying a Corsair would be a good step, of lower wattage (eg 550 or 650) unless you are protecting against the need to crossfire. IIRC, there's no way to pick a specific HD, unless you choose a "raptor"

Much thanks for your appreciative comments Bob.. Here i would like to point out that i am a true fan of D.I.Y. stuff and my initial impression was that you too are building the unit on your own.. Pre-built units, though decent, often exceed the actual value associated with the parts/components.. Here is a part list of stuff which come along with your budget -

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Motherboard - Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

RAM - Corsair Dominator 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 MHz CAS7

Video Card - Sapphire HD 5850 1GB

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

ODD - Sony Optiarc AD-7240S

PSU - Seasonic X-650 (surely its expensive but it is one of the best PSU's ever made and will last you through very many builds.. The complete modular setting helps immensly with cable management)

Case - CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced

CPU Cooler - Corsair A50

zeroscape150

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

DUK3 I'll have to check out these items. One thing, FSX doesn't run better on CrossfireX. At least this is what I've been told.

zeroscape150

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Emperus, I also prefer DIY. To be honest, I have troubleshot 2 major computer problems in the past 5 years. Both troubles were dead computers which turned out to be defective motherboards. Replacing them wasn't hard, I just kept everything arranged, neat and clean.Building a new rig is something else. For the last 2 months, I have been reading and studying Scott Mueller's 19th Edition,"Upgrading and Repairing PCs". This is an excellent book and I really enjoy its contents. I know once I start this as a DIY project, there's no turning back.lol. Again, just trying to avoid a bunch of mistakes. I will check out your build suggestions. Many thanks.

HA036

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hi. I'm another old hand at FS. (back to version 1) Some things to consider. If you are going with an X4, go with the 965BE and OC or better, the new 970. Also a new x6, the 1075 to look at. FSX demands as fast as you can run. Even if you go with the x6, OC if you can. In any case, watch your temps. I have the 955BE and run a modest 3.6 OC over the 3.2 standard speed with a temp never exceeding 55C when running full out. That gives me a 5C cushion. Practically the 955 should not be run above 60C. Whatever AMD recommends for your processor. Consider the GA-890FXA-UD5. The 890G series has built in graphics and is a waste unless you want built in graphics. The FX series, e.g. 790FX and 890FX are the top chipsets. For the new generation, 890FX is the way to go for the X6 although they run the x4 fine. There are times you will think you are running Prime95 as your cpu is going to run flat out. Part of the FSX tradition.

FSX was designed some time ago and it does not do well with the current SOTA video cards. FSX much prefers nVidia cards as does FS9. SLI or Crossfire does little if anything. Don't laugh but the best cost effective cards are the nVidia 9800 GX2, the 8800 Ultra, upscale to 285 GTX and the ATI 5870. Not kidding. The new cards do things that FSX didn't dream about. One is DX10. I don't see much using it and it does have bugs. There is something in the 5870, NOT the 5850, that ATI did that does handle FSX ok. But you are talking $$$. BTW, run the video setting wide open. Don't mash it down to 30FPS, let it do what it can do.

Another is you don't need over 4GB of memory, i.e. 2GBx2 sticks with the tightest timing you can afford. DDR3-1600 sticks are fine, faster if your budget allows. Since the board runs dual channel unganged, use only 2 sticks. If you want more than 4GB (FSX won't use it) go with 4GBx2 sticks. Do not run over 2 sticks or you'll have to down clock the memory, due to issues with the CPU built-in memory management.

Running FSX means running on its own drive and that drive should not be over 50% to 65% full and defrag like there is no tomorrow. Best if you don't run it on the same drive as the OPSYS and put FSX as the first thing on the drive. If you can get a VelociRaptors so much the better. Use a small page file on the same disk as your OPSYS. Unless you are doing colossal processing, you will never use the page file.

As to running all the sliders full right. Forget it. FSX is the most sensitive balancing act you can imagine. There are plenty of good articles on the web on tuning. Part of that tuning is the OPSYS, in my case W7 x64. Drivers up to date, both service packs for FSX.

Bottom line. As many CPU cycles as you can give it on as many cores as you can give it and 4GB of RAM. Use an ATI if you have $$$ and shoot for the 5870. If you are going SLI, you'll need something like the ASUS M4N98TD EVO

Cheers

A great link if you are interested: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

AhtashamTomal

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

VirtualPilot3D™ is designed to be 100% real with real scenery, real cockpits and real aircraft! Fact is, no other flight simulator in the market beats this for sheer realism.
Every single element of the game is designed to give you the real experience of flying a plane. From the fantastic full-sized cockpit mockups and crazy realistic flight dynamics on a deep scientific level!
faa pilot professional simulator
Since its inception, it has been used as an alternative to the large flight simulators used to train professional pilots.
It is certified for commercial use and provides hardware and frame-rate checks required for FAA certification. VirtualPilot3D™ is also currently in beta testing stage all over participating flight schools worldwide.
Take a look at the list of amazing features that VirtualPilot3D™ offers:

Visit http:// to buy and find out more details.