Sign in with
Your question

My Western Digital external drive quit working. It has power and makes noise upo

Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2013 4:04:41 PM

I have a Western Digital 500 GB external drive. It has worked fine until this morning. The drive is getting power and the light comes on. It makes a sound at start up like a disk running but it does not show up on my computer. I have tried it on another computer with the same result. Any ideas?
January 31, 2013 1:26:59 AM

Did you do something improper to it, such as rudely unplugging it or dropping it?
How does it dhows in “Disk Management”?
Try to assign a new letter to it “Disk Management” for activating it again:Right click “My Computer” =>Select “Manage”=> Choose “Disk Management” => Right click your drive on the list to select "Change Drive Letter & Paths"=> Click “Add” to choose a letter=> “OK”.
Actually, reformatting it can be the best way for you to try now. Therefore, at first, you can try a free drive recovery tool to regain your inner data and format it afterwards. My friend has tried this freeware to retrieve his data. He says it is really free and worth trying.
Go try it there: -http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/10/only-part-of-driv...
m
l
January 31, 2013 1:32:46 AM

firebillfirebill said:
I have a Western Digital 500 GB external drive. It has worked fine until this morning. The drive is getting power and the light comes on. It makes a sound at start up like a disk running but it does not show up on my computer. I have tried it on another computer with the same result. Any ideas?

I would be willing to bet that the external controller board has kicked the bucket. I have seen it hundreds of times. Unless the drive is still under warranty, I would suggest removing the drive from it's enclosure very carefully, then plugging the drive into the host system via native sata or using an external adapter. I have done this hundreds of times, as the drives are good 98% of the time, and will go for many years once removed from the enclosure, with no data loss.
m
l
January 31, 2013 2:42:24 PM

Dioddne1234 said:
Did you do something improper to it, such as rudely unplugging it or dropping it?
How does it dhows in “Disk Management”?
Try to assign a new letter to it “Disk Management” for activating it again:Right click “My Computer” =>Select “Manage”=> Choose “Disk Management” => Right click your drive on the list to select "Change Drive Letter & Paths"=> Click “Add” to choose a letter=> “OK”.
Actually, reformatting it can be the best way for you to try now. Therefore, at first, you can try a free drive recovery tool to regain your inner data and format it afterwards. My friend has tried this freeware to retrieve his data. He says it is really free and worth trying.
Go try it there: -http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/10/only-part-of-driv...

The drive is not showing up at all on my computer. I even tried connecting it to my laptop with no success.
m
l
Related resources
!