Solution
When overclocking the CPU the ASUS P8P67 PRO's 12 +2 Phase Power VRM Design is better than the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3's 8 +2 Phase Power VRM Design because it has faster transient response during CPU load changes.

More phases in the CPU's power VRM design means that the power delivery stabilty to the CPU is higher making for a more stable CPU overclock.

Heat from the VRM is also reduced by spreading the load between more power phases, resulting in a cooler and more stable platform.

More phases also results in higher efficiency and better durability of the VRM.
When overclocking the CPU the ASUS P8P67 PRO's 12 +2 Phase Power VRM Design is better than the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3's 8 +2 Phase Power VRM Design because it has faster transient response during CPU load changes.

More phases in the CPU's power VRM design means that the power delivery stabilty to the CPU is higher making for a more stable CPU overclock.

Heat from the VRM is also reduced by spreading the load between more power phases, resulting in a cooler and more stable platform.

More phases also results in higher efficiency and better durability of the VRM.

Solution

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Aight... thanks a bunch. There wouldn't happen to be a comparable mobo for less than $180 or so (just so that if any good mobo goes on sale I can nab it without posting a new thread)?

beenthere

Distinguished
For performance and reliability I always recommend Gigabyte mobos which many hardware review sites also use for testing CPUs, RAM, Vid cards. In 20 years of building PCs the only mobos that I've ever had fail were both Asus and their customer support is non existent IME.

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, and I have a smokin' ASUS computer which has never broken or failed, and another in an old build.

beenthere

Distinguished

That's fine. I'm just sharing my experience of over 20 years building PCs and what many other people have seen firsthand - that Asus mobos are often unreliable and that Asus is slow to fix problems if they ever fix them. If you're happy with your Asus product, enjoy it.