Motherboard acting funny

Daz990

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello!

I installed a new motherboard yesterday with an amd phenom ii x6 1090T :D .
I turned on the system and it didn't smell good and wouldn't turn on. So I oppened it back up and switched some SATA cables becuase I was using
new ones so I switched to old ones. Then it worked and it was fine. Just incase it's helpful I have windows 7 ultimate edition x64. Just now I put my PC
to sleep and went away for about 10 mins. I came back, tapped the keyboard and it went on then off again. I pressed the power button and nothing happened.
I turned off the power then turned it back on again, it worked and I got restored to where I'd left it. Is this a hardware issue?

I DID look into using standoffs but they weren't required on those little mounds in the case (i think). When i did try using standoffs it looked like the motherboard
was way too high off the case so i decided i couldn't have burnt it or anything. Just to emphasise this it did not freeze when it went to sleep. It just completely looked
like it had turned off. The LED fans stopped spinning and all, there was just a flea light.

The computer does work but I am conserned. Is it a hardware issue?

Any help would be much appreciated. :wahoo:

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

I myself had a similar sleep issue that started after a 'Hotfix' and thankfully went away after a 'new Hotfix'. This seems like it could be and AHCI/IDE issue between the BIOS and Windows loading the proper drivers. However, as far as the smell well nothing comes to mind unless the PSU is burning-out <or> you have a short e.g. from a standoff, I/O, or some other device.

The pseudo standoffs {punch outs} are notorious for causing problems. IMO Remove the MOBO, get electrical tape and place 2-3 layers and punch-out a hole so the srews can be threaded.

Next, run 'Fix It' or change the Windows registry values for 'Start' as follows; IDE = 3 = Start or AHCI = 0 = Start. See -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

AHCI_Start_0.jpg

Daz990

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
great I'll try these. so put 2-3 layers of electrical tape on the intergrated standoffs then punch a hole through for the screws, right?

Thank you so much. :D

Correct, punch a hole or cut a hole for the screw -- and only those that line-up with the MOPO screw holes need to be 'punched' through.

The problems with those types of standoff's is they are big and often short something or since most don't move may not line up at all with a MOBO screw hole and can short the MOBO in those locations.

Good Luck! :)

pat

Expert
Well, that can be your problem. I had to change my quality Silverstone 500W PSU when I put a 1090T in my system. It is pretty loaded with 6 SATA devices, but this PSU had no trouble when I had the same system with a PII 940 X4. I looked a bit on the internet for the Alpine, found it at £16.50 inc vat so I would say it is not the best quality 650w out there.